Three Vid Monitors??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shakabrah2

Solid State Member
Have an ATI on my AGP socket, has dual outs, works great. Want to add a 3rd monitor. Get an nVidia PCI so there's no Windows driver conflicts? Not a gaming monitor so I guess I can get a cheapie 32MB?

i dont fink u can do that since u can only install a video driver from nvidia or ati. i dont fink u can have 2 video drivers installed. so u needa get another ATI pci.

Do not believe that XP will let you use the same drivers/driver names for 2
video cards.
After initializing the first card, XP freezes the driver files so that the
files cannot be copied, deleted, or used by a second card.

Two video cards work fine IF they are not using the same drivers - such as 1
nVidia card + 1 ATI card.

My Matrox G550 card has two outs - DVI and a VGA. I currently have two monitors. To run my 3rd monitor can I get a DVI splitter cord for the DVI out on the video card? That will run two monitors and then the 3rd can use the remaining out on the card? Make sense?? Will the card's 32MB of DDR memory run all three?

Or will using the DVI splitter just mirror the two DVI monitors? I want to be able to use all three monitors and click and drag diff things unto each one.

NO if you split the signal the tow monitors will be sharing the same signal. So they will show a mirror image of each other.As far as i know its hit or miss with a dual card setup. You can use two of the same card brand but there will be alot of compatibility issues no matter what. One card is always going to want to be the primary.When i attempted this setup( i added a pci card to my already existing pci-e card) to try to get triple monitors it would work until i restarted my computer then my pci-e card would take over and disable the other one. I am still playing with it and if i get it working i will let you know how i did it.

So Windows only sees one card I was thinking of both ATI and a nVidia, can pick up the nVidia for cheap, can't hurt to try. Only other option is to spend up to $300 and get a multi-out standalone box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom