ODBC Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hello

I had a bunch of ODBC questions, i would appreciate if you guys/gals could mystify ODBC.

If i create a *.mdb file using MS Access, am i creating an ODBC driver, or do i actually create the ODBC driver though the ODBC Data Source Administrator?

what does the ODBC driver contain, what langage is it written in? what is its extension?

odbc is driver, prolly a dll, that allows you to interact with particular databases. When you install MS Access on a windows box, you also instal a odbc driver. you can see this in the odbc administrator by looking at the driver tab. If you setup a data source in the administrator, it will preconfigure settings for an app to interact with a particular file.

i use odbc connections in ASP and PHP to interact with SQL, MS Access, Excel, & MySQL.

heres a good tutorial for using asp to interact with SQL. the CONN STRING at the top could easily be changed to interact with other types of databases

http://www.asp101.com/samples/db_edit.asp - click view ASP code to see conn string

thanks for the reply

So by adding new database files, one is not creating a new driver, correct?

so The dsn just adds an entry to the overall database library list

creating new database files does not create new odbc drivers.

a single odbc driver can be used to interact with many different database servers or files.

the dsn configures file/server location, usernames, passwords, etc used to connect to different database servers or files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom