Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewsvalesen

Daemon Poster
I have:

an X800GTO Sapphire.
AMD 64 3700+
Asrock Dual 939 Mobo
1.5 Gigs of different brand value ram (bought it for 30$)
1 Tornado Fan

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811999612

(super good/loud)

____________________-

I am buying (as we speak)

1 more fan

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835888602

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999601

and more value ram

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145440

I think I may have cooling good as I have two very good fans blowing in, and I have an exhaust in my pci slot.

Everything I have (except ram)
Is brand new (bought maybe less tha na month ago for 190.00)

I need some tips for overclocking. What/How do I overclock this rig?

and Yes, I read the thread about overclocking, I'm just asking for your opinions about me overclocking this thing. Like Maybe I should fix something up?

Well you definitly don't want value RAM. In fact for higher overclock you will want PC4000 or higher.
And you should replace the stock Heatsink with something like the XP-90 or 120.

You overclock through the CMOS Setup, by upping the CPU clock, adding Vcore when needed, loosening RAM timming when needed and monitering Tempartures during torture tests.

If you want a FULL Blown in depth explanation just ask. Im sure someone will give it.

I'd like a full blown in depth explanation.

I have one more question, a full blown overclocking success, what am I to gain from it? I overclocked once and I gained maybe 2 fps from fps games.

What you would Gain is just more Speed. Depending on how stable it is and how far you go that is. I only overclock so F@H will run faster that and Im bored.

Preparing to Overclock: Adding sufficent Case cooling so all components are Cooled. Usually 1 or more Fans in and out. My setup is: 120MM out, 1 120MM in, 2 80MM in 1 Out. 2 Fans on RAM.
After market heatsink on CPU w/ Artic Silver 5 as thermal Paste. Best heatsink are all Copper and usuasly have heatpipes. A high speed fan on the heatsink is also a good Idea. Good heatsinks for this socket are The XP-90 and XP-120. Draw backs are that they are expensive, heavy and Large. (Other cooling choice include but are not limited to Phase change, Peltier, watercooling)

What you should have: A digital multimeter to test Power supply for stability. Temparture programs such as Motherboard moniter 5, everest or Speed fan. A temp probe is suggested. Torture and Benchmark programs to test Overclock Stability. Such as Prime 95 or OCCT.
Patience.

How to start: Start in slow incriments, Upping CPU clock by 2-3 Mhz. Until tempartures exceed safe limits or Windows/gamming and torture tests can no longer run without Stability/BSODing/ Error issues. Determining a stable overclock requires alot of time. At the least 8 hours of torture testing followed by 2 or more days of regular computer useage. Once an overclock has been determined unstable you can enter the CMOS and up the Vcore by 1 incriment and or loosening RAM timmings. A RAM divider may be needed at some point. Upping the DDR Voltage may also be needed. For example: RAM timminngs 3-4-3-7. My Defualts were 2-3-2-5 By Increasing the Values you effectivly allow the RAM to "keep up" with a given overclock. You may need to test different Values and combinations of CPU Clock, Vcore, DDR Voltage, RAM divider and RAM timmings before finding a stable plateau.

Notes: Overclocking is Limited by, quality of Power supply, motherboard, RAM and cooling.
Dangers: Overclocking Can cause hardware Instibility and if NOT properly monitered can Burn up and permantly Damge RAM/CPU/Motherboard?Graphic Card or Harddrive.
In some cases a windows installation can be currupted by High overclocks. Therefore it is suggested you back up important information frequently.

Example:
My Current Overclock. Stability: Not fully Accepted ATM
overinfocu6.png

Others: Check your CMOS Setup for SATA/EIDE Lock. Enabling this option will help prevent the overclock from currupting windows.
In some cases a BIOS flash is required for some options to become available in the CMOS. A good test of Stability is not only Running Torture tests but having F@H or SETI run all the time.
If you have any other questions, don't Hesitate to ask them.

cooling wise, what is better?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835106061

or this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835109118

I also got some Zalman "Super grease"

is that sufficient for my CPU overclocked?

Ok... I've got 3200 Value ram. I just bought it.
My mobo takes 3200.
Will it be ok to get 4000?
That and, should I?
I just got the ram.

Which leads to my next question:
Should I bother overclocking with brand new parts? It voids the warranty, correct?

Here is what I have cooling my system:

One of those Fans for my cPU and ARtic Silver / zalman

1 120 mm fan that moves 5700 rpm

And a 60mm that moves 2600RPM

Both are blowing in.

For air going out I have an exhaust pci card.

I have no heatsinks for my ram (VALUE)

And I also have stock cooling for my X800 GTO (Which might possibly soon be an X1900)

Is this all ok? thanks

You should get a 80MM or 120 MM Exhaust Fan. A PCI exhaust is usually not enough. You should replace the RAM with PC4000 RAM. OCZ/Mushkin or any ram with Samsung Chips ( will have to google around for exact Models).

You don't have to worry about Video card cooling unless you wish to overclock the video card as well.

If and when you get new RAM you should put a FAN on them. Do not get Heatsinks for the RAM. Its not as effective as Plain air cooling.

Answering Previous Post: It only voids the warranty if you make visible modifications to the component. You can usually LIE and get away with an RMA. When RMAing a Burned or dead part act as dumb as you can, you have no idea how to overclock, etc etc. The XP-120 is better, and Artic silver 5 is Best. But you can buy whatever you want.

PC4000 is reccomend because the RAM is already designed to work at higher clocks therefore your not stressing it by overclocking.

Heh, that's extremely interesting. I actually thought there was some kind of way to tell if I overclocked. Like It physically says it.

But yeah, thanks.

Well the thing is. I have only 2 fan slots. One in the back, and on the side.

What do I do about cooling then if i only have 1 fan in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom