Help buying Core DUO + SLI mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
Looking to put together a new gaming system, right now just need a SLI MOBO and want to go with one of the new Intel Core Duo's. Is it possible to do this for under $500? That's with some decent stuff? I have some Corsair 512MB Ram x2 laying around somewhere, hoping that's compatible with the mobo. Bought the ram in May so not too old. I'd like to buy from NewEgg, so any ideas on a solid mobo and CPU will help a lot, I plan to order within the next couple days. (Unless some big price drops are coming)

Open to AMD as well, but been reading Intel is best bang for the buck at the moment.

Thanks all!

conroe and sli is pretty much impossible for under $500, it would be hard to get a new conroe system with a mid range card for under $500. Can you save up and get some help at christmas?

You can get a E6600 and a decent motherboard for under $500. Or save $100 on the cpu and just get a E6400.

My wife just gave me a dirty look when I asked her that one ;) I'll have to say no. HeHe

So what would it run me for a SLI mobo and a fairly good core duo CPU? I'm running at X2 3800, should I just hold off on the upgrading for now? I have a non-sli mobo, but a decent vid card 7900gt. Just trying to get some extra kick and keep hearing about Intel's new chips all the time. I'm NOT good at making decesions on what to buy hehe

How does an AMD x2 3800 even stack up against the E6400?

Its not impossible to get Conroe and SLI under $500 if your only buying the cpu and mobo. The e6600 is about $320 and theres plenty of mobos under $180.

You could just get a E6300 for $180. The E6600 has extra cache so your only going to get about 5% better performance at the same clocks but they all clock pretty close.

Don't forget that Conroe Requires DDR2 ram. If what you have atm is DDR1 you will need to change that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom