2 Video Cards in one PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcus

Solid State Member
I am a newbie on the technical side of things so apologies in advance if this turns out to be a dumb question.

I was considering getting a GeForce 7900GS 265MB for a new E6600 build based on price and the fact that a friend has one and has let me try it out on his machine and I was impressed, but then I was comparing it against the 4 year old + card on my older machine.

Was looking at stretching the budget to get a different card based on another recommendation but my friend suggests I buy the 7900GS now and he will give me his card when he moves to the new 8000 series early next year. The idea being I will then end up having two cards in my machine. My questions are is this technically possible and are there and benefits / disadvantages?

You're referring to SLI, running two video cards as one, via SLI bridge. Yes this is possible if you have two PCI-e slots on your motherboard. The benefit is a 10-30% increase in performance. Is he giving you his for free when he gets the 8800 next year?

Thanks.

That's interesting about the increase in performance levels, I will factor that in if I need to negotiate a price. My friend has not had it all that long but likes to constantly update. Got the 7900GS beacuse he was not happy with what he had and he already knew something was coming out in 2007 that he wanted but did not want to stick with his old card that long.

10-30 increase try quad sli 300% increase in performance. i would suggest if can get the money to get an 8 series yourself a gtx beats sli'ed 7900 and quad SLI 7950gx2 so i would suggest getting a 8800gtx or gts but if he's offering that card for like 50 id take it for now and then wait and get an 8800 later

TheEnd187 said:
10-30 increase try quad sli 300% increase in performance. i would suggest if can get the money to get an 8 series yourself a gtx beats sli'ed 7900 and quad SLI 7950gx2 so i would suggest getting a 8800gtx or gts but if he's offering that card for like 50 id take it for now and then wait and get an 8800 later

wow dude.

Not everyone has trees that grow money:rolleyes:

yeah can we have a link pls? i was thinking about sli'ing 2 8800gtx(if there out by next summer) next year, but quad sli at 300%...im really interested now :p

umm...the 8800's have been out for a few days now. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150205
there's the link. ur lookin at $1300 for a 8800gtx sli setup. but whatever floats ur boat.......i'm fine with it.

if u want to use two cards in one system they have to be exactly the same cards. no excuses. and u can have either sli, quad sli (i guess), and crossfire by ati. but crossfire is not as popular as sli.

whoops i meant 8900gtx...sry its late and im tired :p

edit: and i won't be able to sli until next yr when i save up enough money to get a mobo that can support sli. i could now but one of the cards would be sieverly limited at x4 speeds. and 2 8**** series cards in sli right now is overkill :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom