Building a multimedia based machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobmitsuo

Baseband Member
Not even sure what to call this kind of thing... basically here is the deal. I plan on building a new machine in the next year or so. Want to do something nice for my parents and use my old machine to build a computer to do the following, record and play back media from and to the television. Basically load the baby up with crap loads of movies and television so they have their own multimedia library hooked up to the TV.

The current build on that machine is as follows:
3ghz p4 (not sure what the core is TBH)
1ghz PC3200 DDR
AGP (have access to a eVGA7800gs and a cheap 9200se)
[if the 9200 can handel what i want this to do would rather use the 7900 for another project i have in mind]
the mobo is an asus p4pe-x

basically my plan was to stick some large HDDs in there with a TV tunner and get ahold of some easy to use software and maybe a sound card for 7.1 and get them a system to play with. if the 9200se can handel it was just gonna stick that in there, but i haveno idea if it could. I;d like to do that such that i don't have to spend too mcuh but the quality doesnt suffer too much, just bare minimum...

major questions are:
What kind of HDD set up would be recommended?
Any recommendations for a TV tuner?
Software?
Can the 9200se do the job or will i need to sacrifice the 7800?
Anything else i am missing?

Never really dealt with the whole multimedia based stuff before, mostly just with gaming rigs. So have little clue on what the bare min would be to pull this kind of thing off...

If they're going to have pictures and other personal information on there, RAID 1 would work, otherwise RAID 0 for maximum speed

An ATI Theater 650 Pro card would do nicely.

Software? Windows Media Center Edition 2005, or Windows Vista Home Premium.

If they're just playing movies, a 9200se would do the job; not great, but it would do the job.

RAID zero is going to pretty useless for some oldtimers recording TV. I say all they need is a 250 gig hdd, a pvr-150 TV tuner, and windows media center edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom