Quick Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

persianxballer

In Runtime
I just started overclocking my computer and I just wanted to make sure I'm doing everything right.

Here are my specs:
AMD64 3200+ Venice- currently at 2.4 Ghz
Zalman 7700 CPU Cooler
MSI K8N Platinum nForce 4Ultra
1 GB (512x2) OCZ Platinum Revision 2 DDR400
2x 250GB WD Sata150
Audigy 2 ZS
Rosewill 550W PSU
eVGA 6800GT @stock speeds

I am running at:
CPU Bus: 240
CPU Multiplier: 10x
HT Multiplier: 4x
Mem Settings: 2.5-3-3-8
CPU Voltage: 1.5V
Memory Voltage: 2.8V
Chipset Voltage: 1.6V

What can I change to get higher clocks? Stability? What do I increase or decrease to get the most effective setup (best performance for the least pressure on CPU)? What would anyone suggest? I have got to 2.5 GHz, but benchmarks like 3dmark03 wouldn't run

if u want to go even higher. u should get an aftermarket heatsink. and as u increase ur fsb frequency u should increase the vcore accordingly. and what did u mean when u said that 3d mark wouldnt run??

You also have to adjust RAM voltages and timmings. Maybe even a RAM divider at some point.
The two programs you should use to torture are either Prime 95 or OCCT.
You should get a Temp program such as:
SpeedFan
Motherboard Mointer
Everest

ok, look at your mobo manual and reset your cmos (start overclocking from scratch)

u usually want to increase your voltage by an increment or 2... this results in a more stable overclock, but also causes a significant temperature increase.

after increasing cpu voltage, i would start by lowering your ram speed (aka ram divider) you want to adjust it from 200mhz (ddr400) to 166mhz. this will give you room to overclock higher. i know it sounds like it will make things go slower but ram speed is linked to fsb so as u raise your fsb, your ram speed will increase as well. i am guess you get the blue screen o' death/physical memory dump screen when you go to +2.5GHz and try and run an app such as 3dmarkXX etc. this is cuz your memory gets overloaded because you have it set to 200mhz then increase the fsb so the ram is actually probably running at like 220 or so. its just too fast for it.

once you have put in the ram diveder and increased the cpu voltage, start increasing the fsb by 2-3mhz at a time. allow several hours of benchmarking and tourcher testing prior to bumping up the fsb again. you will notice in the MSI CoreCell menu (where you adjust your fsb) that the line having to do with your ram frequency will increase as you increase your fsb (this is what i was talking about earlier) you dont want this to get too far over 200 or you will start going unstable again.

after you have reached the ceiling there, its time to overclock you GPU, but we'll save that for another time.

good luck, and remember, it should take like 2 weeks to properly overclock your cpu to the max, dont try and rush it... i wouldnt recommend more than 5mhz fsb adjustment per day.

nah, i don't really mind... lol, i can't even reach the 400mhz speed of it.. i've topped out at 380 with 1.9v.. 2.0 and 2.1 made no difference....

my cpu just can't hang with it.. lol

A 40 Mhz OC on a 3200+ is pretty good.

When I had my winchester I was only able to get a 22Mhz OC on stock.
But I had alot of limitations.
Ultra X-Connect 400 Watt < Shitty PSU
Corsair Value Ram < Shitty RAM
some X Gamer Case < Got too hot (Too confined)
ATI 9600 XT < ATI Clased with Nvidia Chipset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom