How hot is too hot? (E6300)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoax

Solid State Member
I just got my conroe E6300, and i started to overclock it, ive only gotten to 2.0Ghtz with 286x7. Right now, just using Firefox, the temperatur is 52C, but when ive been playing games it has been running at about 56-58C.

I am on stock cooling and 1.228V. Is this temperature too high? I was only planning to overclock to around 2.4, so i was wondering if this is alright. Without any overclock the CPU runs at about 47C with just internet running.

mobo- ASUS P5B vanilla.

hrmm.. i would say that is too hot.... i think you may have your heatsink on crapilly... or maybe your other fans just arent running how they should...

my friend had a problem withhis 4200 because his fans werent pushing enough air.. fixed it simply plugging them into the mobo -_-

Intel sucks with heat. Pentium D 930 runs at 60-70C idle. I called intel and they said it was normal. 4 or 5 machines with the same setup idled around the same. Too hot IMO!

these conroe's are supposed to be giving off less heat, maybe you should look around at extreme system to see their temps.. everyone there seems to be rich...

hmmm, this is odd...i reduced it back to stock speeds, and tried to reposition the heasink and fan. Now is is running at 55C idle...

*Edit*
Just refixed the heatsink fan again, now its running at 44C idle, anyone with a E6300 know if this is a good temp for stock cooling?

Now im back up to 2016Mhz, 288 x 7 and its running at 47-48C idle, 53-55C when gaming

Hmm, just downloaded a third party program called Core Temp, the dev said that it reads the temperature directly from the chip, with this i am getting 39C idle which is much better, i guess i never had a problem in the first place...

44ºC is fine. So is 39ºC. I would suggest buying an aftermarket cooler if you're going to oc.

But still, this is a CONROE and its an E6300, but I agree with what Ridlyn says. I think thats too hot, considering my Newcastle overclocked sits idle at 36 ish, and that processor consumes almost half the power thatn mine, id say theres something wrong, try a new cooler nice big heatpiped one, if you can break the bank get a tube of Arcitc Silver 5 it dropped my temps by around 3-4 idle and 7-8 full load

Ruan

Lol, its based on the Conroe Architecture still! It still shouldnt be running that hot, unless the temperature sensor is faulty?

Ruan

The General said:
Actually, it isn't a Conroe, it's an Allendale. :p

It is a Conroe:

For a very long time, it was considered that stripped down versions of the Conroe processors were code-named Allendale. In actuality, Allendale is a code-name for a different processor. Many suggest that E6300 and E6400 are actually code-named Allendale, however, the E6300 (1.86 GHz) and E6400 (2.13 GHz) processors are not code-named Allendale because they physically have 4 MB cache, same as their big brothers E6600 and E6700 - it is just that half of their physical memory is disabled. Traditionally, CPUs of the same family with less cache simply have the unavailable cache disabled (this allows parts that fail quality control to be sold at a lower rating). The fact that E6300 and E6400 are not code-named Allendale and actually code-named Conroe has been confirmed by Intel themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom