how to install windows on an 'Additional' Hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if you understand how imaging works, you would know

When you have an image, it almost 100% for the same exact computer with the same mobo, vc, etc. I do this all the time and never needed to reactivate. I built 8 different images for 8 different computers and laptops. Now there are universal images that can be used on ALMOST every different type of computer but this requires a lot of work. I think Inaris uses this system. I just make a new image when we get new laptops/computers. And no it doesnt take months, thats another topic

As for his problem, a system disk error could me hard drive does not have bootable files on it, bad or not connected properly, or a couple other things. You said you have 3 XP installs to choose from, looks like you have 2 extra install that either didnt completely install or are invalid or are valid installs. You really didnt reinstall anything. You just made another partition on the same hard drive more than likely. If you can get into your XP, check the event viewer for any issues it reports. You may have a bad hard drive or something else. What you are doing wont work 99% of the time anyways unless both of your systems are exaclty the same.

Warez Monster said:
Well if you understand how imaging works, you would know

When you have an image, it almost 100% for the same exact computer with the same mobo, vc, etc. I do this all the time and never needed to reactivate. I built 8 different images for 8 different computers and laptops. Now there are universal images that can be used on ALMOST every different type of computer but this requires a lot of work. I think Inaris uses this system. I just make a new image when we get new laptops/computers. And no it doesnt take months, thats another topic

well, I did a summer program with a college here in NC and I got to see their IT department in action using a variety of different types of computers. From what I could tell, they used the same image for all of them. Also, the school that I go to now has well over 400 computers, old and new and very different from each other. When they upgraded to XP, they used an image over the network to reimage them all. And I do understand about (85%) how imaging works--i've done it as well.

Its possible they are using a universal image or deploying the images to select computers for the specific hardware they have so they might have more than 1 image. What do you mean by, what I could tell? So your not sure of this either I see. How do you build your images?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom