Need opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

noxarcana

In Runtime
Hey guys, i need some help with something. What is the best am2 socket cpu heatsink? And is it for sure that the new amd with also be on the am2 socket?

I still do not get how to do a memory divided in my bios, no where is there any ratio, the closest thing that i can find is changing each of the timings themselves. So i can only overclock from 2.2 to 2.4 with a amd athlon x2 4200

hey there.
everything i have read about new amd states that yes am2.
dont know about the heatsink...but i know i need a new fan for mine. not too noisy, but think i may be able to squeeze a little more out on my o.c. and be comfortable with the temperature.
you can oc higher than 2.4 (way higher if you have the right mobo) if you lower the ht multiplier. also lowers your ht link, but that really does not matter, as long as it is close to your ram effective speed.
e.g.
i have my cpu speed at 240 (x11)
and my ht multiplier at 3x.
my ram speed is 440, at 5-5-5-12 and my ht link is 721.
so i get 2.64 using these settings, but my ram runs into a block at 721mhz...not a big deal, i don't think.
i am just begining to tweak the clock, and so i set the ht multi at 3x to make sure my memory and cpu are stable (15 + hours running 2 instances i.e. one on each core of prime 95) at their respective settings. but i should be able to raise the cpu freq to 245(x11) for right at 2.7 and TEST, then if stable i should be able to raise the ht multi to 4 and hopefully still be stable, and my ht link will be closer to my actual ram speed. from what i have read, oc'ing the ht link is absolutely pointless, so in any case the ht multi will not need to be above 4x. and 2.7 is about all i am going to be able to get...my mobo is extremely stable, to a point, but not that great for oc'ing(it doesn't allow me to raise my ram voltage above 1.9, dang...)
in any event, i'm quite happy with the current results.
here's a link to a pretty good amd overclocking page (be sure to check out the links on ram timings...makes it a little less confusing. a little):

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.php?p=203179&postcount=4

good luck.

umm a zalmann... they have somepretty good ones .. dont know the name of the top of my head but one has heatpipes and one is biggg and has a heatsink fan combo

i love my zalmen 9550...should be compatible with socket am2 as well.

edit: there is no actual divider setting. the divider comes from what you have the cpu frequency set to and the ram frequency set to, then you divide cpu frequency my ram frequency: for ex. my cpu frequency is set to 366 and my ram is set to 732 (my ram is ddr2 so you have to divide the frequency by 2). So 366/(732/2) = 1:1 divider
And make sure you get aritic siliver 5 with w/e hsf you decide on. It makes a big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom