Download Windows XP Updates for Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.

gschra11

Beta member
Hi folks... nice looking site, I might just hang around here for a while.

I have a question to ask the group... I have Windows XP Pro and a home network that is about to add its 5th PC to it. (We are all college kids and we bring our PCs home from school and connect so that we can share the internet) I desperately need to reformat my machine, and probably my brothers, and my youngest brother is going to have me build his in about 1-2 weeks. What I would like to know is if there is a way to download all of Microsoft's critical updates as files (or better yet, one zip or cab file) so that I can burn them to CD and apply them to each machine as needed or store them in a central network location for distribution. I also do door-to-door computer service and it would be nice to have a CD with the updates so that I can patch XP before Blaster and Sasser strike. (Not to mention I don't like waiting 3-4 hours in my customer's homes to make sure everything is setup properly.)

I have already downloaded the Windows XP SP1a file (100 MB) that can be used to apply a number of patches, but I would like to snag the hotfixes as well if at all possible.

Has anybody heard of anything I have described? Thanks for your help and again nice forum.

doubt it....cause when u download the updates, they go directly to your temp file and execute right after they finnish downloading.....well, you should try surfing around the main site

a word of advice.....dont put it on a cd and try to do it all at the same time. Some of these updates takes 30 min each....and if you have it on a CD, itll probably not auto run one after the other. So that means you would have to sit by your computer for about an hour clicking the updates. You should just do a live update and walk away from your computer for an hour or two. Itll prevent a lot of stress.

hmm...well i guess mine took me longer cause i installed every single update for XP right after i reformatted. Plus, i guess taking out one of my ram sticks to be returned probably slowed it down a bit...juust a bit.

You can get a free Security Update CD from Microsoft .The included OS are WXP , Millennium , 2000 Pro and W9X versions.
This updates all security issues to Feb 2004 IE etc... on the listed OS including WMPlayer .Ive used it 4 times now twice on Xp and 98.
Name of CD "Microsoft Windows Security Update CD" FEB 2004
part #X10-29587

Cappy said:
You can get a free Security Update CD from Microsoft .The included OS are WXP , Millennium , 2000 Pro and W9X versions.
This updates all security issues to Feb 2004 IE etc... on the listed OS including WMPlayer .Ive used it 4 times now twice on Xp and 98.
Name of CD "Microsoft Windows Security Update CD" FEB 2004
part #X10-29587

This is exactly what I was going to post, good job Cappy.

Here is the link for your convenience.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp

"The Rabbit Hole"

I think what you should do is Buy a Windows XP Install CD. Shure it's a bit expensive but it will be an answer to all your problems.

It includes all the drivers for all the computers and hardware spanning the past 8 years.

It also includes programs to diagnose and reformat your computer thru DOS mode.

This disk has everything you'll need and more.

PS: If your going to be here fore a while "gschra11" You should get an avatar.

How can I burn them all to a CD if I Already downloaded them once and now i want to burn them?
because i cant look for them because it wouldnt find it because i already have it

and i cant order it because i need it now and they dont deliver it where i need and it dont protects Sasser and stuff

you guys are doing it the hard way. goto neowin.net forums and read up on their AutoPatcher and unattended installation tutorials. they automate the updating process including system device drivers, ect using a method sort of like DOS batch files but with a GUI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom