I'm looking for a file manager that can

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

In Runtime
I'm looking for a file manager that can allow one to make notes about various programs and text files on his hard drive. For example, in the left pane it could have the directory tree, in the middle pane the text file, and then in the right pane one could make summary or explanatory notes on that file (which could also be a program). Clicking on a file in the directory would bring up any saved notes one had made.

This is a good idea so there must be a program that can do it; if not someone should make it.

if i am understanding you correctly then windows can already do this as is.

1)right click and file
2)click the summary tab
3)on the bottom is a box to add comments. add what you need there
4)change view to details
5) right click the bar that say name, size type,etc and tick off comments

next to each file it will now show wha tyou wrote about that file in the comments section.

I guess you're referring to XP. I'm using win 9x and see no "summary" option when I click on a file. But I do have a comments option. I just don't know how to get to it.

I would prefer if I could write a whole paragraph for comments instead of just one line.

ah yeah in xp is what im looking at, and yeah you can write a 3 page essay, well not really but you get my point. i havent used 98 in like 7 years so i cant even picture where to go for that.

I would concentrate on moving off 9x and moving into XP. The summary feature sounds like exactly what you need. The way you described it though reminds of OSX's structure as it panes out that exact way. Are you looking only for freeware or willing to pay?

I'm still in limbo re: my OS. I know I need to upgrade, but I'm considering just going over to Linux. Still undecided.

What is OSX?

I'd be willing to pay for something provided I can use a trial version first.

For a moment, I thought that Treepad would have just what I needed, but it's really just a text/HTML editor.

I'm surprised this kind of software isn't more popular. You know when you download a text file, and it has the info. you want, but not without all kinds of BS? Also, a program might do what you want it to, but only under special circumstances- which you will forget if you don't make some notes...

Oddly, Xplorer2 (http://zabkat.com/index.htm) has a comments option, and it's working for folders but not for text files or programs. I suspect this might have something to do with "ADS". From their help file:

File comments rely on an advanced NTFS feature called “Alternate
Data Streams” (ADS). Imagine a file as a kind of "folder" that has a
stream for the regular contents and secondary streams for other
information, including comments. When you move the file around,
all these alternate streams are silently carried along.

Windows 9X doesnt support NTFS. It only supports FAT32. So nothign like that will help. Basically you are stuck. You have to go to XP. Linux is a good alternative but you still might not find what you are looking for with it. Since it doesnt have the summary feature like XP does.

OS X is the Apple OS and there is no trial you can use. Xp desnt even have a trial. So to speak. You can install it and use it for 30 days. But if you dont activate it you lose it. OS X only comes with Apple PC's which are more expensive than Windows based PC's.

Plus the stuff you are talking about..the info it already happens. It is just a .nfo file which is basically a text file with all the goodies you want to know about it already there.

People dont want this attached to their regular text files since it will in all regards make the file size twice as big adding the nfo to the file. That is why they make the .nfo file along with the text file. So if people want to know the nfo they use that if not they have just the text file which is smaller.

Plus making notes on your text files is kinda pointless in notepad. With Word you can make notes and edit them right within the application. Even share the notes with other people and have them add their own. But that is only with Office 2003 and Office 2007 which dont install on 9x platforms.

Any which way you look at it XP is gonna be you main choice. Considering that 9x platform has a major flaw that was discovered back in July that can allow anyone to take over your PC...Which isnt patched since M$ ended all ties with 9x platform. Leaves you wide open for all sorts of nasties.

Jake, Nautilus will do exactly what you want. It even lets you put little icons on folders with clicking and dragging, take notes, change highlight color, and it comes with a free OS (Linux ;)) ... If I were you, I'd take a loot at www.ubuntu.com as an upgrade from Windows. :)

Makaveli213 said:
Linux is a good alternative but you still might not find what you are looking for with it. Since it doesnt have the summary feature like XP does.

OS X only comes with Apple PC's which are more expensive than Windows based PC's.

Well, other than the fact the it does have a summary feature, you're still half right. He might not find what he's looking for.

And thanks for calling them Apple PC's and Windows-based PC's as my head was about to explode when I was awaiting the Mac/PC terminology that I hate so much. :p

Okay i stand corrected. Linux does have something like it. But Also be know that installing Linux does take some good PC knowledge. No matter what some people say installing Linux isnt as easy as it is to install Windows. I am still trying to find a Linux build to install on my SATA Drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom