AMD or INTEL for future quad cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepsiboy700

Fully Optimized
Ok from what specs both companies have given us, which quad core will seem better regardless of possible prices and will the current motherboards out support them. I am asking because tommorow I am going to order both a motherboard and cpu.

My options were/are:
DFI Infinity am2 with amd x2 3800

or

Gigabyte DS3 with e6600 conroe

EDIT- My thoughts were that if the am2 mobo does support a future quad core, thats good. I have been hearing that the amd quad cores will be real quad core cpu and better than upcoming intel "dual cores". If all this was true, I would also save more than $200 buying the amd/dfi combo rather than the gigabyte/intel combo.

Intel seems to be changing [motherboard] design as they go with this Core 2 Duo line, I think you should go with the AMD combo.

The Intel Kentsfield (quad) is compatible with socket 775. AMD's quads I believe are changing their motherboard because it's a dual socket to achieve their quad core setup.

And if you are looking for gaming, i quad core wont be utilized for awhile and i dont think that AMDs quads are aimed for gaming performance but a server CPU. Correct me if im wrong.

The Intel Kentsfield (quad) is compatible with socket 775. AMD's quads I believe are changing their motherboard because it's a dual socket to achieve their quad core setup.

ahhhhh, no. that would not be quad cores you are referring to. AMD are designing a quad core die as we speak. what you are thinking of i believe is a dual FX series setup there has been talk of.

just because a game doesn't utilise quad cores is no real reason not to get one if you can. basically though i would say any normal person who is after a quad core will be high and dry until about end of first quarter or some time second quarter next year. for now there will be only the EE from Intel and we are still waiting for AMD's release which will undoubtedly not be far behind in price to begin with.

yeah, i love my 3800+ but the conroe just beats the pants off of it. i'm holding out for amd's quad core before i upgrade though :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom