Windows Me Boot cd problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathGod

Baseband Member
Found my Original Windows Me Compaq Cd trying to run cd but it will not work says there are only two files on cd Bootsect and Bootcat. Was wondering what I am doing wrong or if its not even my fault. Any help would be apreciated

How are you viewing it? Are you booting from the Windows ME CD? It requires you to boot up from CD, not run it from Windows.

You will need all the CDs, and run them in sequence.

Yep sounds like you are trying to run this within in windows, which would show the files you are speaking of...or it is not the first boot CD in a sequence of recovery CD's. Be sure you set the BIOS to boot from the CD-ROM first then try to boot off the CD and strike a key when prompted..that should start the process.

Im not running it in windows when I insert my Boot Cd the monitor dislpays black screen with white lettering indicating my cdreom drive as N: then does nothing but go to A: or C: which seems to be the same drive and since I have no A: drive than that kinda confuses me. I have also already gone to bios and put cd as first. And this is the only Cd in the boot sequence. Could the CD just be broken or is it an internal error with reading the cd

Here is what exactly happens:

Starting windows 98...
Microsoft RAMDrive Version 3.06 virtual disk C:
Disk Size: 3,075 k
Sector Size: 512 bytes
Allocation Unit: 2 dectors
Directory Entries: 64

ATAPI IDE Cd-Rom Device driver verison V 1.23A
1 drive(s) detected
unit 1: Master IAQ 15, I/O address 0x0176
Mode Prepare code page function completed
Mode Select code page function completed
MSCDEX Version 2.25

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1996-1995. All rights reserved
Drive N:= Driver IDECD001 unit 0

A:\>

Thats it cant run anything cant even exit out of it any idea?

So is any of this info helpfull or am I just missing something right in front of me?

If your Windows is not working, it sounds like your hard drive is bad because your RAMdrive is mapping to C: (unless it's a new hard drive that has never been fdisked or formatted).

If your Windows works, are you using some sort of GoBack or some other hard drive management software? That would cause it to not map the drive to C:

The windows is XP and since it is not the original and came with my other cpu (dell) the activation key does not work. So instead of reformating every 30 days I tried to use my original ME disk for this comp. My Hardisk is working in perfect order. Does windows even sell Me anymore? Mabye Ill just go out and buy a new one.

Okay I got the disk to work but im at another impass. The disk is telling me there is no user or factory image on the ****. Could it be dammaged or something else. And if this dont work anyone know were I can get Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom