new cpu... new temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbetchel

Solid State Member
Hey guys. I just got my first dual core chip, AMD athlon 64 x2 4400+ 2.22ghz toledo. I just upgraded from a athlon 64 3700+ which idled around 35c and loaded (with stability test) around 50c with stock cooler. Now i just put in my new dual core chip, and installed a new thermaltake silent copper heat pipe tech heatsink and fan, still idling around 36c on the new chip, but now at full load (also on cpu stability test) it reaches around 57-59c. a full 21-23c degrees higher! is this normal? do dual cores normally run hotter than single cores? i thought this fan was pretty good, and i know its better than stock so..

i keep reading reviews of people with the same idle temp as me, but only around 45c at full load, something im doing wrong? any advice would be helpful, thanks.

i think something is wrong. because 57 is way to high for ur proc considering that ur not using a stock heatsink. make sure the heatsink is properly attached and make sure u have enough thermal paste.

ok, so you think i should remove the heat sink, maybe apply a tad more grease, and make 100% sure the fan goes on correctly?

What fan is cooling it, what is/are your other case cooling. What is ambient temp of Room, what are you using to measure temp.

my fan is a thermaltake silent 939 k8 with newly applied grease, my other case features is the rear vent and a powered fan on the side of the case, almost above the fan for the cpu. ambient temp of the room is pretty cool 69f in my house, and im using Core Temp for measuring both cores. Im using CPU stablilty test 6.0 to induce the load. its weird though, because the EXACT second that i press start on the test, the temp jumps 10c. is that even possible? shouldnt it gradually rise?

EDIT: i put the load to full and touched the fan and heatsink, the fan air is quite cool and the heatsink i cant feel any heat. is it possible the readins are way off? i do have a couple year old MOBO that i had to flash to support x2.

MY cpu temp jumps 4C when any torture is started. So its possible.

Try speedfan or everest. A Temp probe is best though. The easiest way to lower CPU temp is to lower the temp of your whole house. You could also make a vent from the window to a side duct. Which would require some moding.

Otherwise buy artic silver 5, the best of thermal compounds. You may also have applied too much or too little paste. It should be no bigger or smaller then a Cooked piece of white rice on the CPU center. The heatsink being secured is all that is needed to spread it.

You can add more or stronger case fans.

well the reason im concerned is because my 3700+ that i just replaced maxed out at 50c under load in the exact same conditions with stock cooler. now i have a better cooler, with a proc that uses .5 less volts, and loads almost 10c hotter, i dont get that.

well im not gonna go modding my case while im still stumped as to why the reward for buying a better fan is a 10c increase in temp. but i have tried reapplying the HS twice with the amount of grease you suggested, and ive tried everest with these reading after 10 min stability test.

CPU: 56c/133f
CPU #1/Core #1: 58-61c
CPU #1/Core #2: 58-61c

so confused. if it was the environment of the cpu, then i would have to imagine the 3700+ would reach the same temps at least since that was a stock cooler on it, but it maxed at 50c.

yeah you problaly put the heatsink on wrong, or too much/little thermal paste, or your using cheap thermal paste try artic silver, or your program sux my brother installed one on his laptop and it was reading 355 celcius!!! it was pretty funny i was all like so laptops can catch on fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom