StarWars Galaxies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure they are. But the big thing about the emu's is you get a bunch of high school kids (or younger) trying to run these things, the servers crash or they're buggy, and once you take all this stuff out of the equasion, the player base is so small it's not really that fun.

I would even pay to play on an emulator that was handled properly (I mean I'm talking like $1.00 per month, not 15) just to have somewhere to play it.

I've been playing SWG for about 3 weeks now and I hardly have time to play it. *I* think the target audience for a game like this is ritzy kids who don't have to work for a living or office bums that sit and play games all day instead of pumping out those TPS reports, or those smelly PC geeks that live in a singlewide trailer with a fractional T1 and server cluster.

Not to mention the blasted system requirements. I knew a guy that got suckered into buying a new Compaq last Xmas, and the VGA card doesn't have a snowball's chance of running the game, even more, the MB doesn't have an AGP socket.

The more and more big companies try to make you pay for things, the more and more people will come out of the woodworks with free work-arounds. Look at Ultima Online: A 4 million plus player base of 15 bucks a month, and they wanna gripe when 250 or so turn to the "dark side". (That was back in 2001, its probably about 500,000 freebies now)

But rest assured, an emulator is coming, and I for one support it.
Looks around nervously for the software police...

Be Warned!

These are the things I found bad about the game:

First you must have a machine with the latest hardware and drivers to play smoothly.

Secondly all that you do in the game is run here, run there missions.(Since the worlds are HUGE and you dont get anything to ride early in the game, it takes a while to do each mission.)

Third, you have to pay the monthly fee.(Thankfully i have my own credit card, so i dont have to go begging mommie:D , only to get turned down)

Fourth, if you dont make a clone of yourself (kinda like a save point) and then you die, you are transported back to the main city and then you must run and search for the items left at the spot you got killed, and trust me you will die a lot.

On the good side:

There is SOOOOOOO much to do, tons of people to meet, countless items, and HUGE worlds (and I mean huge, i will take you hours to run from one city to another in a world). If you like games where you complete missions to upgrade yourself and your items then this is the game for you. Its well worth the monthly fee.

Overall, i would give it a:

10/10 for graphics
9/10 for sounds
7/10 for gameplay
9/10 for controls

After paying for a month of Planetside I gave up on the pay to play games. SWG looked good, but they need to implement much more to the Star Wars universe to keep my intrest.

Well, I'll go ahead and give my perspective. Keep in mind I'm a six year Ultima Online veteran, so my views may be a little distorted.

Custom Craftability
The game DOES have NPC's, but they don't sell or buy anything. Every single usable or equipable item is crafted 100% by players. There are no prefab ANYTHINGs in the game. It's not like UO where you could go to a provisioners shop and buy things. Everything you use (down to your clothes) is either given to you when you create your character, or made by your character, or bought from other players either outright or through the bazaar system. (An in-game "ebay" if you will)

Since NPCs don't buy items from you, you have to rely on the bazaar or the generosity of other players to make your money. UO was easy because you go out, kill, strip the hides, go back into town and sell it to an NPC. Easy money. By the end of the day you could have 20k. SWG, not so easy. You are at the mercy of the buying player.

Micro Management
OMFG! I haven't seen this many macros since Sierra released that hybrid between Homeworld and Starfleet Command. Taking a leisurely stroll is more complex than making sense of a 48 month car lease. Combat is similar to that of UO, but there are supplementary commands you can issue to pull off special ability moves like stunning, concussion blows, paralizing, etc. If there were a single player demo version, it would have made things alot easier. It sucks you have to learn this game in live mode where you're open season.

Story Line
If you've seen the movies, you'll be impressed with the detail they have gone into as far as the stories. If you've read the books, you won't. It's just another blah episode if you ask me. When you start your character, you have the option of choosing which system/planet/city you want to start in. Having any previous knowledge about the cities (either by novel or movies) is not that accurate. One would think that if you wanted to eventually be a pilot, you would want to start on Corellia, where you have a better chance of being spotted by a Cor Sec agent or possibly be recruited as a cargo runner. (Future releases)

Overall
Now is the best time to get into if you're going to at all. Why? It is in its infancy stages, meaning you can advance your character now before many more things get added. Eventually we will be able to pilot our own ships through space (similar to having a boat in UO I would think) and engage in spacial melee. (Hope it doesn't get too X-wing vs. Tie)

I forsee in the future, people will be alot more comfortable with the PvP aspect of it, and will more likely start preying on the newbs. Which will make it all that much harder to dev your character in the beginnings. Right now everyone is a little to afraid to "talk" to one another. (Except for total newbs who have never played a MMRPG before.)

If you've played UO before, the size of the SWG world would compare to this: Picture Britannia. The entire map. Now multiply that by 6. That's one system. Multiply that system by 5. That's the SWG universe as it stands now.

What *I* would have wanted to see
Coruscant - You would think that this would be the best place to start out. Nice and crowded, plenty of opportunity, Emporer breating right down your neck, just a nice place to live. (Not to mention, those lonely WALKS through the desert are boring.)

Early vehicles, whether it be a junkie speeder or a baby bantha, something to carry you across country better than your poor feet. Speeders can cost as much or more than houses.

Stormtrooper players. Now this is a concept that I believe is coming, but it would have captured my attention early on. Everyone who has seen the movies walks into this game aspiring to be a Jedi or a Dark Lord. They want it all and they want it fast. Me? I just want to be a stormtrooper, quietly submersed in the throws of faction war, a simple number instead of a name. Not easily detected in a crowd. (Of troopers, that is)

CAN YOU HELP?
In this game, there are bound to be "useless" skills that will no more than waste your time in the game to increase. For example, in UO: Useless skills include spirit speak, item id, camping, begging, peacemaking, tracking, and forensics. Evaluating intelligence was one of those you could leave at 10% just to use the targetting system when stealthed.

There surely are skills in SWG that don't need exploring, and it would be nice to know what these are so many don't waste time building them up. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, or maybe I've just been playing UO too darn long.

Anyways, that's my piece.

Doc

Hey Looked every were for offline emulator for SWG and they don't have one yet but was woundering if anybody knew any thing about DAOC emulator is it possiable to edit some files and run swg on it just a thought if so let me know

Sorry Uriel But Offline Emulators are forbiden by the sony online entertainmet company have to pay to play

Uriel said:
I must pay every month in order to play it ! I cant do that, since i'm not rich, i'm a student so i don't work and don't earn money...

About all MMOLRPG game are PAY TO PLAY. Some time you can find the occational free server on some of them, but they are buggy.
Eg. There is a FREE RAGNAROK ONLINE SERVER, but I hear horror stories about really bad lag and people loosing characters and many other support issues.

There are some MMOLRPG are are FREE TO PLAY, but your character has restrictions on what he can and can not do. Or there is the classic 15 day account.

Dave232 said:
Sorry Uriel But Offline Emulators are forbiden by the sony online entertainmet company have to pay to play

Offline Emulators..... now there is a laugh. I might as well be playing a stand alone game.

Uriel, if you can not afford the subscription, but you can afford the game, then I suggest you get a copy of SW:KOTOR
B00006IR62.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I have downloaded FILE PLANET'S 14 Day Trial Game. And i am having a ball with it. I will not be renewing my iRO membership this month if at all as I am finding SW:G 100x better.

The good thing is that my sister all ready had the media, and all i have to get the ACCOUNT KEY is to send over a bottle of Bundaburg Rum over to the states as payment.
as my sister got guild leader hooked on the stuff.

:D

BTW, if any one is looking for me SW:G, details as follows:-
Surver : Ahazi
Name : Karlan Arashi
KARLAN.jpg

You will normally find me on the planet Talos in the city called Wild Side.

I bought SWG (Collector's Edition) the day it came out. I couldn't wait for this game!

I was soooo let down. $15 USD a month to play is ridiculous. So many things about this game annoyed me.

- Lack of items and items can only be found at the bazaar or created.
- Mission targets disappearing or moving all over the world.
- Missions were so boring. Run for miles and miles just to kill some stupid rabbit for barely any credits and experience. You have to do hours and hours of these insanely boring missions to get anywhere in the game.
- Running all the way back to a town/city to find a medical center to heal yourself then over to the cantina to watch some dancers to gain more charisma (i think it was).

Omg, you spend hours and hours doing these most tedious of tasks and you find your character is hardly advancing in experience. I played the game for about 2 weeks and then go so sick of it. You'd have to pay me to play this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom