ZIP files in Windows 2000? Why do I have to use WinZip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviolion wrong!

HOLOCRON DEFINATELY WRONG YOU CAN aND I DID
YOU JUST TAKE THE WHOLE FOLDER AND COMPRESS IT (or ZIP IT) and whoa you got it! So there, take that . rofl

Dasein512 said:
Obviolion wrong!

HOLOCRON DEFINATELY WRONG YOU CAN aND I DID
YOU JUST TAKE THE WHOLE FOLDER AND COMPRESS IT (or ZIP IT) and whoa you got it! So there, take that . rofl

Huh? I don't understand your reply, what do you mean by "take the whole folder"?

And take it easy, no need to shout!

umm... and how exactly did you compress it?

cause as far as i know, windows doesnt have a default compressor. but then again, i installed winRAR right after i put in my OS

Wait a minute, are you talking about HD compression??? Not just single folders, but where you use HD compression to save room on the drive? I'm still trying to figure out just EXACTLY what it is he's wanting...

I also know you can compress files in 2kserver (and probably pro) and browse them like they were a normal folder. They appear in green lettering. Is that what he's talking about????

well, i think i know what kind of compression hes talking about....but its not really compression cause well, it doesnt really compress much. Its pretty stupid. Im telling ya, winRAR is what you want if u want to compress a file well.

I never use Windows compression, it only saves maybe a few MB out of 100 at max, and sometimes it actually takes up more space than the file is supposed to be!!!!
I use WinRAR because it integrates itself when you right click on a .zip or .rar, is easy to use, and actually compresses a great deal more

killians45 said:
I also know you can compress files in 2kserver (and probably pro) and browse them like they were a normal folder. They appear in green lettering. Is that what he's talking about????

You got it, Windows 2000, XP have native compression available when used on a NTFS partition. It is there just as a convenience for the people that hesitate on getting a third party utility.... we all know there are people out there with such a train of thought.

For some reason where I work at, there is a stigma about third party utilities, I'm always fighting to get things accomplished because... MS doesn't always have the easiest or practical utilities to get things done.

I know EXACTLY what you mean by the stigmata. We use the native compression here on our severs. Thats the only thing I can think of that he's talking about, though... why he would have that on a home system, I dunno... I'm still at a loss to EXACTLY what he wants this compression utility to do. Is he wanting it to compress the folders but be able to access them like any other normal folder without bringing up a secondary program? Hmm....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom