VMI pool data Disk Boot Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

n00b11

Beta member
well, it's me again and i got this VERY weird problem just now. well i didn't do anything, i just finished installing windows XP pro on my new computer and everything worked out FINE...until i finished installing the ATI drivers and it prompted me to restart windows so i clicked "OK" then i got this problem. after, it took some time to load (i stared at the screen where it says "Main Processor/ Memory Testing" and all that stuff, that usually only shows for like 2 secs (for some reason, it took a long time to detect the IDE dives), for like a minute, then i see an underline like _ blinking in the upper left hand side of the screen for awhile, which reminded me of the old windows 3.1 days.) then it says all this stuff:

(staring at main processor/ memory testing screen, normally only shown for like 2 secs, for like 1 min)

(pauses and a line is blinking to the top left hand side of the screen)

[a table-like thingy here]

Pri Master Disk HDD S.M.A.R.T. capability . . . . Disabled

[another table-like thingy here]

Verifying DMI Pool Data . . . . . . . . . . .
Boot from CD :

NVIDIA Boot Agent, PXE-2.0 (build 082 V1.82)
Copyright (C) 2001 NVIDIA Corporation
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

CLIENT MAC ADDR: 00 04 61 69 99 42 8D GUID: FFFFFFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFFFFFFFFFF
PXE-E53: No boot filename recieved

PXE-M0F: Exiting NVIDIA Boot Agent.
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER
_ (<blinking line for about 10 mins and no further action)

(notice that this time, it doesn't do that whole process over again)

i posted this same msg on other furms earlier, but i couldn't get it solved so hopefully you guys will know :D .

the over guys told me that my HDD IDE cable, power connectors, PSU may be faulty so i went to fry's and used a brand new IDE round cable that costed me 10 bucks. nothing new. same error msg. i don't think it's my PSU problem because i could run windows fine. i also checked that all the cables were properly plugged in and that everything was secure.

some guy later told me to reset my BIOS so i did that and told it to boot from HDD-0 so i did that too. nothing new. same error msg. then, a friend of mine told me to set the CD-ROM as first boot again to see if it recognized the windows cd and could boot from there. i tried that too and it wanted to reinstall windows, which i can't or isn't convient to do.

i aslo read the article on annoyances.org titled "Verifying DMI pool Data" here. that didn't help much either.

if you can give me help, and at all, it would be greatly appreciated.

oh, and by the way, my pc specs are here:

-Epox 8RDA+
-AMD Althlon XP 2500+ Barton
-2 sticks of Crucial PC3200 256 mb RAM
-Western Digital 80 gb HDD 8mb cache
-420 watt TurboLink power supply

i have experience whit intel mother boards and sometimes happen what happened to you, the little cursor in the screen at starup. it means that the motherboard is looking for the hard drive, which means there is something wrong whit the drivers and the bios. sometimes is a bios failure or windows failure. if everyting was working fine then dont worry about your hardware, try to reset the bios, dent enter to the bios set up, check if recognize everything, check if the harddrive is there. if everything looks fine then you will need to reistall windows.
tips:
first take out all pci cards, and video card, bios battery, all power conections and wait 10 minutes(depending the motherboard, some motherboards hava abios reset button).
reistall video card only reconect all power, and place the battery. boot
see waht happens, y yo cant boot then is a windows issue, maybe your ati driver corrupted any windows file or something, is weird but it could happen, i have seen many weird cases whit windows.
for the cursor in the screen when you boot, chek the driver jumpers, if is alone just the hardrive, put it as single instead master, or csel(casbleselection) and put it in the last conector of the cable, not in the center.
hope it will helpful for you
let us know how it goes
dont spend money triying to buy any harware, first lest check windows and the bios

also try to change the boot device order, if you hard drive is not recogniced by the bios and the only device is the cd rom the select cd rom, sometimes it fix the problem(at least in intel motherboards) then select to boot from the hard drive again.

Did anyone ever figure out what the problem is? I am having same exact thing with new sytem that just built. I've swapped every component and does same thing. I'm considering rma the motherboard unless its something stupid I am missing. The board is Shuttle AN35N nForce2 Ultra 400. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

If its failing at the DMI pool data, it sounds like a problem handing off the bootstrap. Try to do this, first use fixmbr command (note, on certain cirumstances, this may cause you to need to reinstall, but as there is not much choice...). Also, try to disconnect any other IDE devices except the HDD (as in cdrom/dvd, etc). Also, see if there are any mbd specific drivers. Many MBD need chipset drivers installed as in IDE drivers/ATA... oh, and what kind of HDD? ATA im guessing. Anyhow, run fixmbr see if that helps. If not run with only the HDD on the IDE channel, no secondary slave/master and no primary slave. Install MBD specific drivers.

oh, another thing to look for in the bios, there is a setting for boot virus and maybe boot sector lock. Disable that!!! That can cause problems. Especially if installing and some info needs to be written into the boot sector and for somereason gets corrupted or CANT be written because the MBD is locking it.

My problem started when I tried to install an IDE drive on a SATA adapter. I have Raid 0 (on IDE's) as my main array.

I enabled the SATA h/w in the Bios (as Base not Raid). I installed the latest SiS SATA drivers which displays when the system boots. The raid drives are seen as normal on boot up and the new drive is recognised correctly as a 40G as master on SATA primary (via the SATA adapter). It's then, after DMI pool verification, that the Nvidia Boot agent kicks in and gives this message.

NVIDIA Boot Agent, PXE-2.0 Build... Etc...
Copyright (C) 2001 NVIDIA Corporation
Copyright (C) etc.. etc...

CLIENT MAC ADDR: 00 20 ED 8F 22 8C GUID: FFFFFFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFFFFFFFFFF
DCHP...... /

PXE-M0F: Exiting NVIDIA Boot Agent.
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

I've tried all combinations of boot up orders in the Bios. It used to be Boot order 'SCSI and first device 'SCSI' but this now fails.

Thanks,

oh @#$!!, PXE???! Hell, I know what that is! Disable the LAN boot agent. It looks like its trying to use the lan boot agent. Go into bios and either look for wake on lan or lan boot agent. Hopefully that should do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom