a quickie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nagasama

disgruntled ex-moderator
my cpu-z says i am running 436 mhz at 5-5-5-18.

does this mean that i am actually running 872mhz total?
i.e. 436mhz on both sticks?

help.

Well, not quite.

872 would be the effective clock, whereas 436 would be the real clock, since it's dual-data rate (DDR).

I dunno if that makes any sense, but that's how it works.

so, basically i need not be concerned that i am only using my ram at half it's capacity?
or what it should br running?
what i mean is that with my mobo/cpu setup i am getting all i can from this ram...

arrrg

No, no, it's all fine. Your RAM is even a bit overclocked. CrazeD got it right in that what CPU-Z is listing is the real clock speed of the memory, 436Mhz. The effective clock speed would be double that, ie: 876Mhz, because it's DDR memory. For DDR2-800 memory, that's a 76Mhz (effective) overclock.

Bear in mind that the effective speed is not double the real speed because you're running two sticks; memory speed doesn't add up. Think of this example: if two cars are going 50mph side by side, can you say the pair is going 100mph? Of course not. Same with RAM.

Oh, and memory timings have no direct relationship to memory clock speed.

Are you really running 5 Cas? Damm, thats slow, I have a nice overclock myself. 2.40 Ghz to 2.65 something and I only needed to put it from 2 Cas to 2.5. (I intend to get it to 2.75Ghz or higher)

What RAM do you have?

ste,
that's my question...i don't know how to change the cas latency, if that is the first number in the sequence i listed above...
no matter what i set in my bios,
in cpu- z, it still reads:
tCL 5.0 clocks.
i can not figure out how to get that to match my spd CAS# latency of 4.0 clocks.
i have corsair xms2x1gb ddr2-800, aka pc-6400c4

i have been advised that i need to raise the voltage (now running at 1.85) to 2.0-2.1v. but i don't know if this will automatically lower the tCL/ CAS# latency to 4.0 clocks (bear in mind i am talking about what i see in the "memory" tab of cpu-z)

further input, gents?
thanks!

Ste said:
Are you really running 5 Cas? Damm, thats slow, I have a nice overclock myself. 2.40 Ghz to 2.65 something and I only needed to put it from 2 Cas to 2.5. (I intend to get it to 2.75Ghz or higher)

What RAM do you have?

ste, your not running ddr2, so of course your cas is going to be way lower, this is ddr2..

most ram for ddr2 comes with a 5-5-5-15... i run mine at 4-4-4-14, you could try changing it to that..

i'd just be concerned with the last timing, set that to 15, because 18 is pretty high

i've been lookin' and i don't think i will be able to up my voltage on my mobo to 2.0
to support the 4-4-4-12 setting....
in my bios it goes way above that, but will not boot above 1.9
dang.

i still don't know how to find the first "4" out of the 4-4-4-12 in my bios...
suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom