Removable Storage 3.5 in. 1.44MB Floppy Drive
Graphics Card 256MB DDR ATI Radeon(TM) 9800 w/ TV-out & DVI Cap
Sound Card Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS card w/Front Audio ports
Monitors Compaq FP17 17" LCD flat panel display
Speakers Altec-Lansing VS2121 2.1 Speakers
Keyboard and Mouse Compaq Wireless Keyboard and Optical Scroll Mouse
Productivity Software. Microsoft(R) Works 7.0/Money 2004/MSN Encarta Plus
Networking 802.11g Wireless PCI Card + 6dBi high-gain antenna

yea this is the computer that im getting hopefully, its made by compaq and costs around 1500$ any insight or suggestions would be appreciated thanks

I've had a Compaq for about 8 months now... It hasn't really given me many problems but I wish I had built my own instead. Around here, you'll get a million build-it-yourself replies, and I've never built my own but if I had the money I'd give it a shot.

Oh, and I got my Compaq for $900. It has a P4 instead of the AMD, and it also has a DVD-RW. It didn't come with a monitor, but you can get a 17" LCD for way under $500 if you search a little. Go to Costco. They have pretty cheap computers and the bestest return policy.

yea but i want to get a good computer not some first time thrown together pos built by me.... i mean theres so many things that could go wrong and its a thousand bucks down the drain

Actually, it's way less that $1000 if you shop around a little. And if you get good parts it'll probably end up a better pos than a Compaq pos would be. If the parts are good and you manage to get it to work, then it would be just as good as a Compaq with the same parts, only cheaper and more upgradeable.

The amd 64 3400+ is a good processor I have the 3000+ in my laptop. I would say for that price with monitor its an ok deal but take some time and look around. Also why be stuck on new, used can return a much better deal. Maybe not eBay but for 1500 I would say you could end up with a very nice say Sony Vaio P4 DVDRW Laptop. etc. Either way its a nice system and up to what you want.

I would say not get that 256mb 9800. It is proven that the 256mb 9800 runs equivelant to the 128mb 9800. Their is actually an article about it, and the only reason you would ever buy the 256 version, is because you can physically turn it into a 9800XT if you are good with chips and stuff, but that is the 9800 Pro. I would advise not to get that 256 version and either get the 128 9800 pro, or just save money and get the 128 regular version.

if it were me I would go with xp pro not home, get a gig of ram and go with 128 9800 top of the line graphics, lowest you should ever go with ati boards is the pro model. Plus do you want to take full advantage of the audigy card, get some 5.1 speakers. withe eax sound in games it sound awesome.

BTW, my gaming machine will most likely cost me 500-600 bucks with out monitor. I love my 19 inch samsung.

well, sice its a package deal, u cant change it....but some of the things are kind of a waste of money. Im building a comp right now and im doing some reasearch....and its funny cause some of those are the exact parts im getting for my comp. but this will cost me less then $1500 cause im building it myself.

for one thing, you definetly dont need the 3400+. the 3200 is still too much for almost any normal computer user and it costs around $100 less then the 3400. If u think about it, 2.2Ghz and 2.0 Ghz really doesnt make a difference.

Also, i see no point in getting 2 drives when u can just use 1. I guess its sometimes comvienient using multiple CD drives.....but most of the time, 1 drive will do. Just 1 good DVD/CD burner would do nicely.

Now, for the OS, if u plan on getting this computer, u should find someone with pro, cause its a lot better then home edition obviously.

Most importantly, the vid card. As many of u know, the x800 and the gforce6 series are now out in the market. Thatll mean the prices of the cards below it are gonna drop. So its best to choose the vid card last. You might spave +$75

But, if u dont wanna waste time looking for parts and risking building it yourself, i guess thats an ok deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom