Removing CPU heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazieaznboi

Daemon Poster
I have a amd sempron 3100+ stock heatsink and fan
i need help removing the heatsink. i unscrewed all the bolts and screws and unlatched the clip but i cant seem to budge it. i no its not using adhesive. could there be screws behind the mobo? but if there is screws behind the mobo, wouldnt the screws short the mobo? please help. im trying to apply AS5 cuz my temperature is at 45C idle.

The Thermal Compound gets very Glue like after so long. You can use a Blow Dryer to heat the Heatsink, Be careful, as it heats you should twist it back and forth until it easily twists off.
BE very careful any misdoing could damage the socket or bend pins on the Cpu. Have patience, and rock it back and forth.

Oh. okay. can i just run my cpu at full load until it reach slike 55C than try to take it off? i cant twist the heatsink cuz it has heatsink brackets to the mobo

You could do that, just turn the computer off before you take the HS off. You cannot do full twists but you can "rock" it. Slight twists without damaging the Bracket. Pulling it directly off is also an option but like I said, do it slow to avoid Pin damage.

yeah just be careful, once the thermal compound was so tight on the cpu I pulled the HSF when it somehow ripped the CPU out of the ZIF socket even though it was locked. The CPU was stuck to the bottom of the heat sink fan at which point it fell off landed on the mobo and bent about 20 pins :) god I love my job.

In the end I used dental floss to straighten the pins put it back in the mobo and its still running :D.

so i got everything working, applied the new thermal paste, and added another 512 of RAM. ill post the decrease in temperature in a little while.

New thermal paste needs 2-3 days to "Burn" in. In that time do not increase the Overclock and use the computer as you would normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom