problem installing my new HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
The barrier may be a problem if you don't have a service pack CD, had the same problem installing my new 300gig SATA drive. If you know someone that have a SP2 WinXP cd you could borrow it from im.

You can install windows on a 137GB+ harddisk without service packs, and remove the barrier later. Only reason why you would need a disc with service pack is if you want to use more than 137GB+ as your Windows partition.

I installed my XP (no SP's) on a 160GB disk.

Dup84 said:
1- Update your BIOS
2- Plug your SATA drive directly in the SATA port of your mobo (not the converter, no point in installing a SATA when using converter)
3- Check in your BIOS if it detect your SATA drive and if the SATA drive you connected your drive is enabled
4- If you have a SP2 WinXP disc, it will probably detect your hd without problem, if not, use the sata driver disk.

Also check if the hd is correctly connected to the powersupply. No jumper are needed on your sata drive too, there's no master/slave crap on sata drives.

You could also burn a diagnostic CD for your hard drive, **** happen some time!

I updated the BIOS

During the WIndows install I hit f6 and load the floppy SATA drivers when prompted. When install gets to the part where it says "starting Windows" it stops and says there is no HD present.

Not really sure how to Check in your BIOS if it detect your SATA drive and if the SATA drive you connected your drive is enabled

Dude that's an old nf2 chipset board give up and install xp on your old IDE hdd and use the sata as a second hdd. You can install the scsi drivers after windows is installed. That's kind of wimping out but at least it will work.

I found an install wizard download on the Seagate Website. It set up a partition on the HD and walked me through the setup.

The Windows install recognized the HD after this, but hangs up when it's time to load XP. An error message pops up too quickly to read and then the computer restarts.

I had the exact same problem on a customers computer last week, and it was the 137gb limit that was the problem. With the seagate software did you make your partition no larger than 137gb like they suggest? The error if you could read it would be unrecognized boot device. (BSOD) You need to find and flash the latest bios for your board, if there isn't a newer bios update you are S.O.L. I tryed everything from sp1 sp2 to no sp xp cd's . Your board is pretty popular so I am sure there will be a bios update that will solve this for you. The board I had was a shuttle board and it already had the latest bios. I ended up swapping his 160 with a 120 and it worked fine and I also installed xp on the 160 on a different computer and it also worked fine.

Yea, the partition was 137Gb and I updated to the latest BIOS. Unfortunately it still won't load correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom