PSU and graphics card question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonny_uk

Fully Optimized
right ive just got a ge force 7950GT and my psu is only 300-350watt(im abit unsure), but the card works fine and plays games really fast and smooth and at highest settings but just wondered would i not be getting its full potential with a low power psu? or because its working does that mean its fine? :confused:

With PSUs, there is either not enough power or enough power. There really isn't much of a middle ground that is going to give you better fps, etc.

If you have an underpowered PSU, it will cause things like random reboots.

With a system like yours, you may want to consider getting a more powerful PSU. It also seems like you are using a PSU that came with your case. These PSUs are fine, except they usually don't supply as much current reliably as a brand-name would

Have a look at this power supply calculator and see if what you have is enough. I usually give a little leeway when deciding on a PSU. If I am using the one that came with the case, I'll go at least 100W more than the calculator says. If I go brand name, I'll go 50W or more than that calculator says.

Thanks for clearing up the first bit(whether or not theres a middle ground) and yes the psu is just the one that came in the case and i havent had the system that long, but as i say the card seems to run nicely and i dont get random boots or anything like that.
That site hasnt got my cpu or gpu listed by the way !?

Oh and one more question, this card seems very quiet infact its never audible even when playing games? my 7600 was like a hair dryer when i started games! maybe its because this card isnt being "taxed" enough? hopefully its not my psu not giving it enough power? :confused:

I would definately upgrade that psu to a 450 or higher highquality psu.

you may be fine now , but dont risk running too long on an underpowered psu. there is a chance that the graphics card over time could kill that psu that you have and you dont want that, or that the chance that it overloads into the board.

just my 2 cents. :)

networkgeek said:
I would definately upgrade that psu to a 450 or higher highquality psu.

you may be fine now , but dont risk running too long on an underpowered psu. there is a chance that the graphics card over time could kill that psu that you have and you dont want that, or that the chance that it overloads into the board.

just my 2 cents. :)

yeah i plan on getting a better/higher watt psu anyway, as i said i havent had this system long so im just buying bits here and there, the psu is next:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom