my computer will not boot. (weirdness ensues)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mousepad

In Runtime
This is the strangest problem I've had with a computer to date. This June I built a nice gaming computer and usually I turn it off at night due to my room temperature being warm. Anyways, the next morning when I tried to turn it on, it wouldn't. I notice that my mobo light is on like it should, so I'm figuring it may have to do with my power switch hooked up to my mobo? I don't know. I tried a switch from an older computer, but it still won't turn on. I haven't the slightest clue on what's going on and it's really frustrating because I've had no prior problems with it. I turned it off the night before the problem with nothing changed in windows or the hardware inside. So why won't it boot up all of a sudden?

SPECS

Motherboard
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
Processor:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Memory:
CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) Dual Channel
Hard Drive:
WD Caviar 120 GB 7200RPM
Video Card:
Geforce 7900GT KO
Monitor:
19inch CRT
Sound Card:
Realtek Onboard
Operating System:
WinXPSP2
Case:
Antec Sonata II

You're probably going to need to wait a while for another answer, there's not a whole lot of people on around this time.

I am not great with diagnosing problems, but this sounds to me like a power supply issue. Do you have another you could swap it out with to test?

Great song choice, by the way :)

You can short the 2 pins on the mother board that the case power switch connects to with a small screw driver to make sure its not a power supply switch problem.
Or the power supply could be bad. I have seen bad power supplies lite up the mother board light and still not turn on the pc. Your best bet is to swap out the power supply with a known good power supply and see if that fixes your problem.

Just get another comp side by side unplug the 20/24 pin ATX power cable and the 4 pin one and plug in the other pc and test it.

how long have you had the pc?

check the USB connections on the mobo remove them if there in wrong it can cause the pc not to start.

if all else fails unplug everything and start adding parts and trying to turn it on 1 by 1 if it doesnt even come on with nothing but the PSU plugged in then it could be the mobo or PSU.

This really sound like a power supply problem. And my friend just had the same problem with the exact same case (replaced the power supply with a good price TT.

Ok, I have an extra power supply, so I will definately try this. Thanks for the great responses.

Ok, turns out that I don't have a power supply that will support my set-up. Anyways, just ordered one off of newegg. Could anyone give me a reason why my other psu would just stop working out of the blue, but still light up my mobo led? Just curious

Ok, I'm typing from my desktop again! Good news... I was hoping this would be the only problem. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom