keeping operating systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebattosai

Baseband Member
i am thinkin about making a custom computer of my own and i am in reach of every component i need except a operating system. I was wondering, can i use my old hardrive from the computer i am using now as my primary drive and use the operationg system i have on it...and use the new drive i am buying as a secondary drive??? is it possible to do this because i dont think i will be in range of a operating system anytime soon......

plz help...thx in advance:D

You'd be better off just getting the new drive and buying windows XP. You can get it off www.newegg.com, Get the OEM version, it's not too expensive. I don't think you'd be able to just boot up a new comp with an old hard drive because there would be tons of driver issues and things of that nature, with all your new hardware.

Agreed, you'd most likely have an awful lot of issues here. And if the OS on this hard drive is Windows XP it'll want you to reactivate it since so much hardware has changed.

You can always use Linux if you can not afford XP.

Windows ME and below will work from the hard drive. 2000 XP and above will not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom