OCing GPU not really showing improvement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that a really small overclock. Reason being the card comes overclocked. Video card overclocking really doesn't give noticable preformance boosts. Theonly time your going to see an improvement is in benchmarks with numbers.

Yeah, it's because it's already overclocked. Plus, a 5% - 10% increase is more than I'd hope, so it's good.

I also just bought that card, it's nice knowing that it overclocks even further. Are you using stock cooling?

Yea I'm OCing on stock because the temps didn't change. I probably might leave it at 615/1700.

Try doing some game benchmarks. Sometimes synthetics aren't as accurate. Oh, and try 3Dmark05 or 3Dmark06! That could also be the problem (maybe 3Dmark01 is too old to take advantage of some of its features).

I think this card has already being pushed to its max by XFX, so it's understandable it won't gain any performance by further overclock. If it's stable, you can still keep it at 615/1700 just for bragging rights :p.

i noticed in your first experiment you started by oc'ing your memory... i've found more sucess by oc'ing your gpu as high as it can go while still being stable (use atitool's artifact scanner) and then upping the memory... it makes for the most stable overclock imo

try doing 3dmark05 or something.... why are you still on 01!!! if you do 05 i'm sure you'll notice much higher jumps in scores with oc'ing

I tried 3dmark 03 and 05, results:

03:
stock 590/1600 - 13716
OC 615/1700 - 14079

05:
stockk 590/1600 - 5295
OC 615/1700 - 6730

Big jump for 05. I'm tempted to push it further. Again no big change in temps....maybe 1-2 degrees. I'm also interested in OCing the 3700+. But I have corsair value ram. Is the OC possible? My temps are good for cpu too. About 30C idle and 37C load.

Ah, that's substantial! That's a 27% increase in performance, awesome!

What are you using for the OC? The included software? I'll definitely push my card that far.

For OCing the GPU, I'm using coolbits. I'm a little surprised with the stock cooler. Maybe I'll be able to push it further with a VF900. Is it possible for me to OC my 3700+ even though I have value ram?

Coolbits, understood. I'll give it a try sometime this week.

Value RAM won't overclock much, so you'll have to play around with the FSB and memory divider/multiplier. But I think it's entirely possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom