computer won't boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

dewy3846

Beta member
Hello all, O.K. here goes... I have an old computer I knew it had low memory because I got a message saying my virtual memory was low but no big deal I really did'nt use it for very much but for browsing the web and playing online poker. So one day I got a notice from Windows media player asking if I wanted to install the newest version. I clicked yes. Big Mistake!!!!! Since that time the computer has'nt worked. The screen went blank then a couple of minutes later the comp. tried to restart. And now thats all that it does. An endless cycle . I can hear it trying to start and then it cycles down and then tries to restart again. I purchased new memory, installed it with no change. Could it be the hard drive crashed and needs replaced? If it can be salvaged I know someone who could use it. Since then I purchased a new computer but really hate to throw something away that someone could still use. Any help would be useful. Thanks

Can you boot into safe mode or last known good? Hit F8 a few times as soon as you power it on and try one of those options.

does it even get to the post screen? or does it just stay black the whole time? if the latter is the case, your bios could have gotten corrupted some how. www.badflash.com is where you can order a new bios chip. great service and fast shipping.

Hello again, I tried it again and still the same issues, push power button h.p invent screen comes up then windows xp screen comes up then I can hear either a fan or the c.d drive come on then screen goes dark. After a second or two the whole process repeats itself. I can get into the bios. But nothing I do helps the computer to fully boot. Any suggestions?

? now even that confuses me. its probably a corrupt widows file. first, we need a few specs, what model hp is it? do you have ne upgrades for it?(hardware)

and lastly, do you have the restore disk that came with it? you might be able to get it to work with that, but beware, you will lose everything(emails, bookmarks, documents, music), but you might have an option just to repair, and not to completely format and reinstall.

if you have the actually xp installation disk, you can do a repair install. however, if your computer just came with the recovery disks this may not work.

thanks anyway, but tried that already had bought upgrade disk upgraded from windows 98 to xp tried to run the disk today but when it asked me to agree by pressing f8 the keyboard would'nt respond. strange thing though its the first time I've tried to start the comp. in about a month and I got that screen. I read some where about putting the hard drive in a plastic bag and putting it in the freezer over night and that sometimes allows them to free up a little. lol I know it sounds crazy but the comp. has been sitting in a dark basement with minimal heat for about a month so..... a night in the freezer might be in my hds future.

dewy3846 said:
thanks anyway, but tried that already had bought upgrade disk upgraded from windows 98 to xp tried to run the disk today but when it asked me to agree by pressing f8 the keyboard would'nt respond. strange thing though its the first time I've tried to start the comp. in about a month and I got that screen. I read some where about putting the hard drive in a plastic bag and putting it in the freezer over night and that sometimes allows them to free up a little. lol I know it sounds crazy but the comp. has been sitting in a dark basement with minimal heat for about a month so..... a night in the freezer might be in my hds future.

ummmm i probably wouldn't try that because the cold might cause the disk's to expand and crack which would be verrrrrrry bad.

Hi again, O.K. just found all the specs for the comp.here they are BRAND-H.P. MODEL # 310 N PROCESSOR BRAND-INTELL CELERON , SPEED 1.1 GHZ. SYSTEM BUS 100 MHZ CACHE MEMORY 32 KB L1 CACHE +128KB L2 CACHE SYSTEM MEMORY (RAM) 128 MB EXPANDABLE TO 512 TYPE OF MEMORY -SDRAM HARD DRIVE TYPE - ULTRA DMA - SIZE 40.0GB - GROUPS OVER 30.0GB
VIDEO MEMORY UP TO 11MB
GRAPHICS -INTERGRATED INTELL DIRECT AGP 3D GRAPHICS
MPEG -YES
AUDIO - POLK AUDIO SPEAKERS
O.S -WINDOWS XP ( THOUGHT I UPGRADED THIS WAS MISTAKEN) Hope this info helps like I said comp. ran fine before the dreaded download

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom