Weird cooling issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexaroni

Daemon Poster
Okay, I'm having a big problem. My computer has 3 fans. One in the side, one in the back, and one on the processor. They aren't the most effecient, but they should do the job.

Problem is, they arent. My CPU is running at 60C under medium load. It is an Athlon 3500, not overclocked, with stock cooling.

Whats going on?!

Thanks,
Dex

hmmm i dont really know what the problem is but i had the same problem with my old athlon xp2400,it was in a case with 2 120mm fans and it overheated oneday while i was at school (dont know how it overheated...) and after that ive had to lower the speed to 1.3ghz or it overheats again, try gettin some slot fans or a front fan

Well, I am flat out tired of fans, too loud, and I use an SFF case, so I am looking into a Zalman cooler. If that doesn't work... I'm screwed.

Alright, problem solved. Just installed a Scythe Samurai X into it, and its running nice an low now. I can feel a temp difference in the room, but the BIOS is still reading 52C. I think it's reading wrong.

ya that is funny. I think you aren't getting good crossflow. I have a 120mm in the bottom of the front, it is a really crapy cfm. And a 120 in the middle of the case on the back that pushes about 92cfm. I also have a 3500 on a stock cooler. It isn't loud, and running at like 22C idle overclocked to 2.5

my thought is you shoulda had that side one in front to push air tho and the back pulling air out to have fresh air thourgh no stagnat air!

To yoyokid, that is EXACTLY what I did. The side fan is pulling air in, the rear is pushing it out. I see NO reason to be getting temperatures like this. I think it is just a bad sensor.

Even if there is bad airflow it should still cool better than 60 at medium load. The cpu fan may be slowing down. I had one slow down after a year and temps went up. The heatsink may have gotten wiggled lose. One I even had a problem where the bios reported a temperature that was way off and I had to flash the bios. The problem was the opposite when I had to do that though: the computer was reported as 40 degrees but the temp was really a lot higher and It kept freezing. But try those things. Also what thermal paste? I just have air cooling and a duct running onto the top of my 4200 dual core w/ artic silver pasete and it barely breaks 40 after gaming. And thats in a sff case.

I am using generic silicone thermal paste... I lost my tube of arctic silver. The Samurai is reading the exact same temps as the stock cooling system did, but even so, I over clocked my processor from 2.2 to 2.42, and I am getting the exact same temps. I think my BIOS is reading incorrectly.

EDIT:

Just downloaded Core Temp Beta 0.9.0, and it is reading the temperature as 38C. Right on the money :). I would say that I am pretty happy with the temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom