problem installing my new HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericf70

Solid State Member
I got a new Seagate Barracuda 250Gbyte HD (SATA) and I'm trying to hook it up with little success. My mobo is an Abit NF7 V2.
I have an IDE adapter the converts the IDE slot to SATA and there is also a SATA port on the mobo. I've tried hooking it up several different ways, but WindowsXP does not recognize it.
Aany help is greatly appreciated.

you need to install the sata drivers from the mobo oem. Is this the primary drive? And you are trying to install windows on it? If it isn't the primary drive you should be able to install the drivers in windows. If it is the primary drive you will need to make a sata floppy disk and hit f6 when prompted to by XP install.

thanks for the fast response

this is the only HD hooked up and I'm trying to install windowsXp on it. When is gets to the point were it asks you if you want to install I click yes and it tells me there are no HDs hooked up to the system.

Before that it will ask you to hit f6 if you want to install scsi or raid drivers and you have to hit f6 and put your sata driver floppy disk in and install the drivers.

I hit f6 and used the SATA Driver disk that came with the mobo, I also used the driver from the link Flash posted, but after that part it still says there is no harddrive on my system.

Maybe I have it hooked up to the mobo incorrectly? Should the SATA wire go into the IDE/SATA converter or directly to the mobo?

ericf70 said:
I hit f6 and used the SATA Driver disk that came with the mobo, I also used the driver from the link Flash posted, but after that part it still says there is no harddrive on my system.

Maybe I have it hooked up to the mobo incorrectly? Should the SATA wire go into the IDE/SATA converter or directly to the mobo?

You made a sata floppy disk? Not the mobo cd. The mobo cd should have an option to make a sata floppy.

It's a floppy disk titled SATA Driver Disk. I also made my own floppy from the link you gave me, but Windows install still tells me my system has no hard drive connected.

check you bios settings, maybe the sata ports are disabled, then try using the foppy disc

1- Update your BIOS
2- Plug your SATA drive directly in the SATA port of your mobo (not the converter, no point in installing a SATA when using converter)
3- Check in your BIOS if it detect your SATA drive and if the SATA drive you connected your drive is enabled
4- If you have a SP2 WinXP disc, it will probably detect your hd without problem, if not, use the sata driver disk.

Also check if the hd is correctly connected to the powersupply. No jumper are needed on your sata drive too, there's no master/slave crap on sata drives.

You could also burn a diagnostic CD for your hard drive, **** happen some time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom