sound system cards & speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazer_viking

In Runtime
I know just about nothing when it comes to sound cards and good speakers and the like. I've always used on-board stuff and thought it was good enough. But over the past few days while playing EQ2, I've noticed when I'm in a large group and I use an AE skill (area effect; one that affects every member in the vicinity) the sound coming from 6 or more different sources makes the sound very choppy and static-like. I think I know enough to know this is because I have bad speakers and/or sound card. Is this true?
Since I'm pretty sure it is, and I know the game wasn't designed to sound like that, I'm ready to step up and get a good sound system. What I need help with, though, is finding a good one for the best price. I will need good speakers and a good sound card. If I tried to do this by myself, I would probably end up getting poor speakers when the sound card I chose wouldn't be used to it's fullest potential, or vis-versa.
I want one of those set ups that are surround sound with like a gazillion speakers you know? I want it to be able to get loud without sacrificing much sound quality for when I feel like rocking out. The speakers and/or sound card I have now makes the sub woofer sound weird and out of tune when it gets loud. Of course, I don't want this either.
Can anyone get me started in the direction I want to go? I have a fair size budget, but you know, I don't want to spend like 800$. Is it possible to get it in the 300$ range? I did some scouting and it was more expensive than I thought it would be. I didn't look too hard though because I didn't know what to look for. I like music though so I'm willing to spend a fair bit.

z-5500's + creative soundblaster x-fi.. thats like 350 or something like that with both of em..

or if your not that big of a sound junking, you can go z-5300e's and x-fi which would be like 230 dollars or something like that

it looks like the z-5500 is 5.1 while the sound card is 7.1. would i be wasting money on a 7.1 card when i could get a 5.1 and it would be just as good?

x-fi doesnt make 5.1 cards? what im seeing is the speakers are 5.1, so thats the best they get. if the sound card is 7.1, it won't do any better than a 5.1 because the speakers are the bottleneck. am i wrong?
7.1 = support for a greater number of speakers right? 6 reg. speakers, a tweeter and a subwoofer? no?

7.1 is this:

Left front
Right front
Center
Left Rear
Right Rear
Left-cieling rear (supposed to mounted above the left rear)
Right-cieling rear (supposed to mounted above the right rear)
Subwoofer

Alot of good speakers have tweeters built in to them to help out with high frequency sounds, so all of your speakers might have tweeters built into their enclosures.

I have an Xtreme Music card, and it does 7.1 But I'm sure you can tell it to go 5.1 just as easily. Nothing will be hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom