Hardware Dilemna...video cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaackoran

In Runtime
I just bought a new Intel Badaxe mobo, lian li case and a 22 inch acer lcd.

Now i dont have the luxury of using onboard graphics until i decide which dx10 card i want to get.

Basically I can either go with the 8800gts...provided i can get one within a few days of release, or I can pick up 2x x1800 xt's and go crossfire on my new mobo. Given that two x1950 xtx's look about on par with the 8800GTX and the 8800gts is downscaled...
Would the crossfire x1800 xt's match a 8800gts?

I dont care about dx10 for atleast another 6-8 months. Nothing ive seen so far wants me to get dx10 on release... maybe crysis or halo 2... which dont come out for a while yet... alan wake as well.

The two x1800 xt's will cost about 450$.. which is the ballpark figure I can afford right now.

Which would you do? on g80 release I should be able to pickup a few even cheaper. Any other options to consider?

Think the 8800gts will be more than 450$?

me.. i would get an 8800gts if its its 400-450 claimed price... if that don't work.. i'd get an OEM x1900xtx, the oem's fall in the 300 dollar range and are extremely good.. and you can later on go crossfire if needed...

You can always get a midrange like a 7900gs or a X1950Pro to hold you over, as they can play all the games out right now anyways. Save your pennnies this way. Then wait and see what ATI has up its sleeves next Feb-March.
Then make up your mind and plunk down the cash.

ahh, there's another suggestion instead of two x1800's ....

grab 2 x1950 pro's i just saw a graph and 2 of them in crossfire are close to performance of 7950 gx2 which = 9000 3dmark06

i have 1 myself, and i love it

hmm yeah the x1950 is pretty nice... think two of em outmatch the x1800 xt crossfire? I guess they would...

I guess ill be sticking with ati since my mobo wont do sli. Plus im kinda shocked at Nvidia... theyre playing it safe by going with what they know... none of the new shader type?? no DDR4? It seems Nvidia didnt put the best technology available into the G80... id watch for another nvidia launch at around r600 time... because we all know nvidia wont just sit back and watch ati smokem. We know ati already has experience with the new shaders in the xbox 360... and ddr4 in the x1950xtx.

Will the GTS version of the g80 have a physics processor?

Barring the g80, what card is the best price point right now? Im in canada so newegg is a nono. Ive been checking ebay lately...

Im looking at:
Dual x1800xt's
X1950 pro.. maybe 2 of em?
x1950xtx...and get another one later possibly
something else?

Im leaning toward ati for the triple crossfire later... i mean ive got 3 pcie slots...

2 x1950 pro's is what i'm going for.. they stopped using dongle and now use things similar to sli bridge connectors... and the 2 of them together pull some nice numbers... and it uses 36 pixel shaders while the x1800xt's still only use the 16

i see good things for the r600... so i may skip on the g80 and also use dual x1950 pro's until the r600

yeah, I dont see how the g80 will even touch the r600...nvidia must have something else in the works for another quick release. Im kind of worried the g80 might be a placeholder for something better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom