Windows Keeps restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Death Row

In Runtime
I've had this problem for a while but always dismissed it as me, accidentially unplugging the power cord.

Basically everynow and then windows will restart on it's own. I'm pretty certain it's due to a hard disk error, because when i tried to windows check disk (when I restart the computer) it would continually crash on 24 percent of stage 4, I'm not sure what to do now, It'll probably be fixed if i reformat and reinstall windows, or is there another way of running check disk so it wont crash, or could i simply to reparitive install over the copy of windows i have now?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Death Row said:
I've had this problem for a while but always dismissed it as me, accidentially unplugging the power cord.

Basically everynow and then windows will restart on it's own. I'm pretty certain it's due to a hard disk error, because when i tried to windows check disk (when I restart the computer) it would continually crash on 24 percent of stage 4, I'm not sure what to do now, It'll probably be fixed if i reformat and reinstall windows, or is there another way of running check disk so it wont crash, or could i simply to reparitive install over the copy of windows i have now?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Download PowerMax
http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/M...oftware Downloads/All Downloads&downloadID=22

And do an Advanced Test (Full Scan Test)

Refer to the manual for instructions
http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/documentation/manuals/powermax_guide_en.pdf

Ok i might give that a try, but will it actually work or will it freeze at the same point?

and also is it not then possible to simply do a reparitive install of winxp?

you gotta run them to find out if it will
you can try a repair, might work
if you do get in there, check the event viewer

Oh, windows loads up fine, but every now and then it will just randomly restart how do i check the event viewer?

start>control pannel>performance and maintainance(if in catagory view)>administrative tools>event viewer

Ok so I opened the event viewer and then looked at the system error records. In there it had thw word error next to a cross symbol, and the date time the errors occured, these errors are the crashing, it says as i guessed something about the disk.

when i clicked properties it said
The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.

What exactly can I do from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom