Building First Comp...

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you do dual processors? If I would do that I would Get at least 2 pentium 4 2.0ghz processors if that is possible.

Oh and I am about to overclock this computer, how much should I increase it by? It's the system in my sig.

I would try the ATI Radeon 9600 xt 256mb or the ATI Radeon 9600 pro 256mb. They are both under 200 dollars and are very good.

Okay, I guess if I am going to be spending that much, I should probably just get one of the newgen cards.

lazerman said:
How do you do dual processors? If I would do that I would Get at least 2 pentium 4 2.0ghz processors if that is possible.

You have to get a board that supports dual cpu. I have an Abit-VP6, unfortunately they don't make them anymore. But you can check eBay for some refurbished ones. Or track down a company that still has some on hand. However these boards are so sought after that their price has gone up, yes up, since they stopped making them. It use to retail for 130, now it goes for 180. And their are no p4 boards that I know of, you would have to go Xeon. This is because the cpu itself has to support smp, symmetric multiprocessing...

Okay, I know of a case that can hold xeon's. My question is, what is the main difference between P4 and xeon's?

xeons are like dual cpu's. There ment for only using servers. Since servers require a lot of space and a lot of power to get them running... xeons are the only ones that will do a good job. If your gonna be using it for a gaming pc... then get a p4. But if a server then get a xeon.

Monster00 said:
xeons are like dual cpu's. There ment for only using servers. Since servers require a lot of space and a lot of power to get them running... xeons are the only ones that will do a good job. If your gonna be using it for a gaming pc... then get a p4. But if a server then get a xeon.

You cant have a dual p4 system, as the chips do not support SMP. Also xeons are not like dual cpus, one xeon is one xeon. Xeons support up to 8 cpu's in smp mode I believe, that is the difference. Also a xeon has a much bigger cache compared to the p4. If you want a dual system you have to go with Celerons, p3's, xeons or various smp compatible amd chips...

I know tyan makes a lot of dual xeon motherboards....

did i ever say dual p4? no. A pentium 4 is used for the u know... average stuff. Gaming, editing things, school work... and other things. A Xeon is only ment for servers and things you are going to be doing that take up a lot of space. No not video editing or gaming. Like running a server that is going to be up a lot. Thats why people who rent servers, the server is ran by Xeon. A xeon is bacisally a waste of money if your going to be using it for minor stuff.

Monster00 said:
did i ever say dual p4? no. A pentium 4 is used for the u know... average stuff. Gaming, editing things, school work... and other things. A Xeon is only ment for servers and things you are going to be doing that take up a lot of space. No not video editing or gaming. Like running a server that is going to be up a lot. Thats why people who rent servers, the server is ran by Xeon. A xeon is bacisally a waste of money if your going to be using it for minor stuff.

What does somthing taking up a lot of space have to do with the processor? If you want faster storage go with a better hdd interface technology (scsi).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom