Can you search for hidden & system files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

In Runtime
There's a trick on the net that I read a long time ago about using the 'attrib' command in cmd to make a file or folder both hidden and system. This way when someone goes 'show hidden files' it still won't show up.

Now I have a mate whom I know has avi files hidden away somewhere on his computer, so I did a search for *.avi and it returned nothing. It made me wonder if perhaps he was using the method I mentioned above. I've tested it myself and even if you tick the boxes in the search function 'search system folders' and 'search hidden files and folders' you won't find files that are hidden behind a folder that is both hidden and system.

So I was curious if there was a way to search a computer for files that were both system and hidden? Once I found them I could use the attrib command to bring them back, I just need to know where they are and what they're called.

I know that people can use the desktop.ini file so that you can't search a certain folder for hidden files. This file desktop.ini is on every folder.

Try this, open up command prompt

cd \

then do

dir *.avi /as/s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom