new hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoney101

Solid State Member
i am thinking of buying a new hard disk and installing it myself but first of all i just want to check my computer has room for another one, can someone please give me a brief description on how to check or possible give me a link to read on how to install it. thanks

You can check the specs if you know your motherboard model, or just physically look at the motherboard.

Installing a hard drive is pretty easy.

1)Screw the hard drive to the case.
2)Plug the power cable to hard drive and ide/sata cable to hard drive and motherboard.

That's basically it. But if your using ide, make sure to set the jumpers correctly, either(Master or Slave). No need for jumpers if your using sata.

Also sata2 hard drive is backwards compatible, if your motherboard only supports sata.

ok thanks for your help, from what i can find i have a gigabyte GA-8S648FX-L motherboard. i have looked for information if this can support another hard disk but cannot find anything...can you please post me a link to point me in the direction to find this information, also im hoping to buy about a 500GB hard disk and am running windows XP, will this be compatable or will i have to partisian it? also you say somthing about ide/sata how do i check which one mine is?
thank you

gigabyte GA-8S648FX-L
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products...board&ProductID=1665&ProductName=GA-8S648FX-L

You have 2 x UDMA ATA 133/100/66 Bus Master IDE ports

2 drives can be connected to each port.
This means that you can have a total of 4 drives connected.
A combination of hard drives and DVD/CD drives etc.

Don't count the floppy if you have one of those since those use a different port.

You need to get IDE drives, your motherboard does not support any sata.

I'm not even sure if they make 500GB drives for ide. You'll have to look around for there biggest size.

I'm not sure if you need to partition or not.

Also, most people here prefer to get western digital or seagate brands. After some quick looking around, they do make 500GB ones for ide.

i appreciate your support. i cant think of anything else i need to know at the moment. so thank u
unless you know anything about watching .avi files on a dvd player? ive read that because .avi files require codecs this is hard to do, but i was thinking are there dvd players out there that i can download and save codecs to??

If you have a DVD player that supports divX or Xvid, and your .avi video file is that type, then you can play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom