Buying a PC for Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quintox said:
Go AMD for gaming, it's cheaper and better for gaming. Use some old parts if you can from your old PC.

And don't worry about the speeds of the AMD, they are different from Intels (they seem lower) but are the same.

For example, a 2.2 GHz AMD is just as fast as a like 3.2 GHz Intel (something like that)

Good luck

Wrong, all current intel core 2 duos beat the **** out of AMD's current line.

DARK GAMER-

I went on the website IbuyBuyer.com and was wondering what you thought of the Gamer Fx (socket am2)? The case style shouldn't matter but I changed that and changed the video card to 2x NVIDIA GeForce 7100GS With TurboCache Supporting 256MB w/DVI + TV Out Video. Will this have sufficient gaming power?

you don;t want a video card with turbo cache, that uses your system memory, if you are trying to save some money, get one decent video card instead of 2 cheap ones

DO NOT go with two crappy cards. The 7100GS is one step above onboard.

Check out the Gamers Fire 1600. Bump up the graphics card to a X1950 Pro, 7600 GT, 7600 GS, or 7900 GT. Any will give better performance than the one you configured.

Processor: [Socket-AM2] AMD Athlon(tm)64 X2 4200+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology

Motherboard: GigaByte GA-M55SLI-S4 nForce4-SLI Chipset w/7.1 Audio, Gb LAN,
S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394 Dual PCI-E MB

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS 256MB w/DVI + TV Out Video

Hard Drive: 320 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache]

2 CD-RW/DVD-RW: 16X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive

Operation System: MS Windows XP Home Edition w/ Service Pack 2 Additional

Software: MS Works Suite 2006 [Word, Works, Money, Encarta, Digital Image, Streets and Trips]

Sorry, I forgot to say that are some of the things I was looking to ad in the computer I was building. The processor, motherboard, video card are really the only questions I had, if they were good?

I want to upgrade to a PC that can handle good gaming.

But then you choose a lower-end card. I don't get it.

Cards go like this:

7600GS < 7600GT < 7900GS < 7900GT

I skipped the 7800's because they are just too expensive. Their performance falls between the 7600's and the 7900's (as if you couldn't guess).

The choice of card is up to you. The higher up the scale you go now the longer you'll be able to play games without having to skimp on performance. It's always better to do it up front instead of alter (cost-wise... having to end up buying the original card and then a replacement).

You previously told me to go with a 7600 GS or GT or even the 7900. I previously bought an ATI Radeon 9800 with 256 mb, or something close to that. I about two years ago, is it any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom