Pentium 4 or Core 2 Duo Laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robinclp

Beta member
I want to buy a new laptop but not sure which to get.

What is the difference between Pentium 4, Core Solo, Core 2 Duo, and Celeron?

I know they have processor speeds. Is C2Duo 1.86Ghz supposed to be faster than a P4 2.4Ghz? What about core solo 1.86 and p4 1.86Ghz. And maybe Celeron 2.4Ghz and P4 2.4Ghz.

Pretty confused.

Core 2 duo is the best...you get 2 core both running at 1.83 ect.... Core solo is a core 2 duo without a second core

it goes

Core 2 duo
Core duo
Core solo
Pentium M
Pentium 4 (i think p4 is better than P M for performance but way worse for laptop battery life)
Celeron

in order of best to worst performance. In other words get either a core 2 duo or at worse a pentium M if hoping to save some cash. Core 2 Duo is about 10% faster than core duo with same ghz

Core Solo is a single core Core processor, Core 2 Solo would be a single core Core 2 processor. there are two versions of the Pentium 4 used in laptops. neither are as good as the Pentium M in terms of performance and battery usage. there is the standard Pentium 4 which is used in desktops and that chews through battery power very quickly. then there is the P4M (Pentium 4 Mobile) which is virtually the same but it's a bit better on Power consumption. i agree, Core 2 Duo is best.

Wait, I wasn't aware of C2D being used in laptops yet!? I bought a Core Duo laptop last weekend, thought it was the best Laptop CPU at the moment. Not that I keep up to date on Laptops, and not that it would have changed my decision (since I bought it for a bargain), but it would have been good to know.

Dell laptops currently have Celeron M, Core Duo, and Core Solo. No Core 2 Duo, but maybe that's because i'm looking at the Canadian site?

Yeah, because Dell is also dishing out a quad core PC - check cnet.

So I'm pretty sure they're up to date, I think they were one of the first manufacturers to shell out some of the first releases of the core 2 duo in a prebuilt system.

talldude123 said:
Dell laptops currently have Celeron M, Core Duo, and Core Solo. No Core 2 Duo, but maybe that's because i'm looking at the Canadian site?

I bought in canada off dell over a month ago and they had core 2 duos then. I believe dell was one of the first to incorporate core 2 duo in laptops. Check again man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom