OutLook 2000 redownloading 2 month old mail everyday

Status
Not open for further replies.

ByteJunkie

Solid State Member
Hey everyone,

I'm having some trouble tracking this one down. My boss was gone for two days and and all His email accounts are shared(well minus his personal on). Anyway he got back on monday and when he hit the send/recieve button he got emails dating back to 2 months ago. Almost 2k of them, needless to say he was pissed. We werent sure what happened nor could I reproduce it so we chalked it up to a one time glitch. I was wrong the same thing happened today, the same email he has already deleted are back. Im not all that good with Outlook so any help is appreciated.

O/S- windows XP completly updated and service packs
Office 2000 with all the updates and service packs

There are setting in you Outlook that you can set to delete you emails when you delete them through outlook if they are not checked then it will keep downloading them to your inbox. If you go to tools then email accounts and click on the email that you are using and go to change. then click on more settings in there thumb through the tabs and make your setting to where it will delete your email. I am not near an email client at this point to tell you which one it is but you can find it, it is easy

awsome thank you. Also i found a file in the localsettings\outlook folder that is call "pst.pst" and its hugh abotu 426,xxx kb in size and i have never seen this file before. can anyone tell me a littel about it. i think its the problem because of the size and the strange file name but i cant tell cause i cant replicate the problem at will i have to wait untill the next to find out if its still happening. i renamed the pst.pst file to 12pst.pst so its not reconized anymore and we will see tommorrow morning.

well, this is an odd problem, but I would suspect that the issue is on the exchange side not the client side. And the PST.PST file is a personal folder. I would not recommend changing this file unless there is a reason. Also, check to see if the guy is using archiving, as this will in rare cases dump the mail back out to the inbox, or where ever it came from.
Outlook is a great program as long as you know what you are doing. The problem is that there are time when users will out smart the techs and then you spend hours trying to figure out something that is so simple it's stupid.

he is using archiving, autoarchiving, every 14 days, prompt before archiving is on and so is delete old items. these are the defualt setting right?. so if i turn off the autoarchive feature this may solve the issue?

Also i have renamed that file and havent gotten any errors yet. i assumed because of the size that this is where the issue came from.

Also out of 40+ users 4 of which he shares 3 of his 5 mail accounts with, he is the only one to have this issue. so if it a server side issue why is it only affecting him?

ok i ran scanpst.exe on the .pst files and renamed the pst.pst file yesterday.

today everything is still working, no errrors messages, no 2000 old emails. everything is good and my boss is happy again=)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom