geforce 7600 agp vs geforce 7600 pci-e

Status
Not open for further replies.
well i am gettin a new motherboard too but i was reading that u need a power supply that supports pci-e?

First off, AGP and PCI-E are interfaces or slots that video cards fit into. They are different sizes, specs, and are NOT compatible with each other.

Second, your upgrade depends on two things:

1) What your motherboard currently supports now (PCI-E or AGP). If it is AGP, then get AGP. If it is PCI-E, then get PCI-E.

2) Or, if you want to go PCI-E(newer technology) and your motherboard does not have a PCI-E slot, then you have to buy a new motherboard. Then you have to worry about your current CPU, etc working with the new motherboard.

PCI-E does support a faster transfer rate between the vid card and the rest of the system. However, that's not to say that the vid card will even fill up either interface's bandwidth.

thegame369 said:
well i am gettin a new motherboard too but i was reading that u need a power supply that supports pci-e?

Why don't you tell us what parts you have and what components you are looking to get. This will help us help you more effectively:D

Not all card needs external power, only the power hungry ones do.

If i'm correct, the 7600 does not need external power, it can get it all from the pci-e.

brinks said:
Not all card needs external power, only the power hungry ones do.

If i'm correct, the 7600 does not need external power, it can get it all from the pci-e.

PCI-E versions do not require additional power to what is carried in the PCI-E 16x bus. However AGP versions of the 7600 do require additional power via a molex connector.

my specs at the moment are

geforce 6600gt 128mb
1gig of ram
2.4ghz

and i wanna upgrade to

geforce 7600 pci-e
3ghz

which i am willing to buy a new motherboard for seeing as my current one doesnt support it but this thing about a 350 power supply supported by pci-e needed is bothering me. thats wat it said on the box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom