Installing a new processor? (HELP!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chubz

Banned
Ok, my 1.5Ghz processor is starting to really wear down, and especially when playing memory-intensive games such as Battlefield: Vietnam and FarCry, so how hard is it to put one in? I remember the other day I looked up a guide on putting one in, and it showed all of these complicated-looking steps, and not to mention, you have to have that thermal stuff that you put on it also..........

Would a Pentium4 Processor work on a motherboard that currently has an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ processor, or would the AMD processor conflict with it when I try to put it in?

My luck, I will screw something up, so I am probably going to have someone else do it IF it is too hard....so is it?

I just hope that once I go through the trouble of getting it put in, the thing actually works and I hope my computer doesnt mess up for good, because with my stupidity, something like that very well could happen! :D

Anyways, thanks for any help given......I really need it! :)

Pentium and AMD processor are not interchangable, they have different pin-outs and one will not work in the ZIF slot of another. If your system has either you have to stay with that brand of processor.

First thing to do is make sure your motherboard can handle a faster processor and what the limit is. Yes, it can be easy if you have some idea of what you are doing.

Basically installing a new processor is pretty easy. All you have to do is make sure the system is off and unpluged, pop off the heatsink from the processor. Then there is a small chrome handle that holds the processor in, find that and pull it out a little and pull it up to a 90 degree angle. This will release the processor from the slot and you will be able to lift the processor out. Take the new processor and turn it so the pins are facing you, look for the 2 corners that are slanted and match the pin pattern to the pattern on the ZIF socket. Once the pins are all matched up the processor should drop into the slot freely if the processor does not drop in freely then you may need to move the handle around so the holes line up. Once the processor is seated push the handle down until it lock into place. Apply a very small amount of Arctic Silver or any other thermal paste to the small exposed chip in the center. Once this is done place the heatsink and fan on the top of the processor, make sure it is positioned properly on the top of the processor. It is possible to install the heatsink and fan wrong so be careful, you can fry the processor if this is not done correctly. Connect the fan power plug to appropriate connector and plug everything back in and you are done.

I hope this helps.

Woah, thanks man!

Looks like im stuck with Athlon, but Athlon is good anyways.

The only bad thing.......my Mobo probably doesnt support the new Athlon FX processors (sniff sniff)

Oh well,looks like I MAY BE stuck with the Athlon XP.....ah what the heck. :p

Once again, thanks for the help. (and sorry to make you type that much) :D

Crucial's got ya covered. Just do what he says & remember to take your time & triple check all connections. Especially the CPU fan!

When I bought my 2.2GHz AthlonXP I had to change 3 processors. My 1.83GHz went into a system that "used" to have a 1.4GHz in it, and my 1.4GHz went into a system that "used" to have a 850MHz - I threw the 850MHz away.

oh I didn't see this before I posted in your other thread, so it's an Athlon XP you have then.....

well here's for the other thread: upgrade the RAM from PCwhatever to PC3200 if your mobo will support it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom