Strange boot problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

justmcguire

Solid State Member
Hi,

PC won't boot if I plug HD in(on its own or with cd drive). Goes to bios if only cd drive plugged in. HD works fine in another PC and boots to OS. Tried capping drive, setting to slave etc, plugging in on 2nd mb IDE connection and with different cable. No joy. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Justin

With the HDD plugged in, does it go to BIOS? If not, do you get a display or error message? Any POST beeps?

Doesn't go to bios. Black screen. No post beeps. HD and CPU lights constant on. No error messages.

It sounds like the IDE cable is plugged in backwards. Just as a precaution, make sure you are using an 80-conductor IDE cable and not a 40-conductor.

Forgot to mention, even if I only have the HD power cable plugged in it doesn't work. If only the IDE it goes to bios but obviously no hd detected. Also tried plugging in different HD but same problem.

In that case, it kinda sounds like a problem with the PSU. It's possible that the PSU is not powerful enough or there is some other power-related issue. Try a different molex connector and/or line from PSU.

I will try a different PSU but it goes to bios and recognises a cd drive with the current one. If I plug only the HD in using the confirmed working power connector (from the CD drive) I'm back to square one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom