DirectX 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey when will dx11 come out?will it take a while and will the g8 be able to run it?or should i not worry bout it?

Oh, my lord....

don't worry about DX11 just yet, we haven't even seen benchmarks of DX10 in action yet.

I think you've got quite a few years before you need worry about buying DX11 compliant hardware, and by that time, who knows, maybe everything will be being done by our hecto-core CPU's and graphics cards will be long since obsolete.

i intend no offence but i would imagine the answer would be obvious given what you've learned about DX10. the answer is no. no because graphics cards aren't released to support renderers that don't exist. DX10 has not been released, ergo no cards support it. given DX11 isn't even in development there is no way possible for hardware to support it. support for the DX renderers is hardware i.e. the hardware must be designed to use the specific renderer set.

SCREENSHOT TIME

MX440/DX7
screenmx440mz6.jpg

6600GT/DX9
screen6600gtrb8.jpg

two things you have to keep in mind here is the difference in hardware features and hardware power. those are the playable settings on my MX440 and max settings on 6600GT. the MX440 lacks many of the shaders that make our games great now and i think i had the environment detail turned WAAAAAY down in that screeny. that explains the poor scenery in the background. the MX440 could not use AA which explains the jagged edge to the car model. finally remember that this is from DX7 to DX9 which was quite a large technological leap.

in summary. the major drawback here is in the out dated hardware. DX9 looks great, the existence of DX10 will not change that.

other than those points i find that the game is more than playable on the outdated MX440, the car doesn't exactly strain your eyes does it?

^ The top screenshot looks better than the bottom one. It looks more real, the bottom one looks all nasty and yellow.

And hopefully DX10 is the last version of DX, because there's just no good reason not to use OpenGL.

hear, hear. microsoft. pwners of a generation. people need to learn to think outside of microsoft's box, what astounds me is that no one seems to recognise engineered hype when they see it. microsoft are putting out all the rumours about DX10 and i'd bet on that. OpenGL would have been far better than DX but unfortunately Microsoft undercut it. ahhhh don't you love the word "Open"? microsoft don't. see i don't even dignify microsoft with full sentences, or a capital letter.

seriously DX means so little to games that i actually find it humorous people know what it is.

nitestick said:
hear, hear. microsoft. pwners of a generation. people need to learn to think outside of microsoft's box, what astounds me is that no one seems to recognise engineered hype when they see it. microsoft are putting out all the rumours about DX10 and i'd bet on that. OpenGL would have been far better than DX but unfortunately Microsoft undercut it. ahhhh don't you love the word "Open"? microsoft don't. see i don't even dignify microsoft with full sentences, or a capital letter.

seriously DX means so little to games that i actually find it humorous people know what it is.

I'm loving Quake 4 with OpenGL/OpenAL in Linux. It's awesome. No, really, the sound is fantastic. I didn't know I could enable it, til yesterday. Oh ... and games are especially awesome on my 42" 1920x1080 HRTV I just got. (I will post about it later, I haven't gotten time to take pictures, etc. :p It's way cool!)

i removed the last little banter between you and LA.

not particularly impressive responses guys. LA is right though, "normal" people don't type in fragmented sentences. because a large number of people do it doesn't make it a good thing. and as for spamming/flaming, well i removed the posts and know what you said.

i changed my mind, it's still open. but stay on topic....everyone. no personal attacks or on your head be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom