Computer can't install any new drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TampaBay

Baseband Member
My computer is win xp, p4, purchased couple yrs ago.
The problem is it can't automatically install drivers like USB flash drive, USB dvd burners and so on.
If I bring that USB flash drive and USB dvd burner to the same computer next office, it will automatically installed and ready to use.

What is missing on my computer?
How to solve this problem.
Thks.

im no software expert, im only an electrical engineer(ie hardware). though i bet there is a reg entry that says something like 'auto plug and play driver install'(something like that) check that its value is set to '1'. also go to 'run' and type "msconfig" then select the 'services' tab and scroll down till u see 'plug and play' and make sure its checked to start on boot up. then press ok and reboot.

I set it to "Automatically" and it can't find the driver.

After it search for drivers, it comeback with error message saying can't find driver to install and ask me to insert a CD to CD-COM.

I just updated lots of upd from MS but still nothing help.
anyone else can help?
thanks.

sounds like the USB port(s) is bad or the USB interface driver is not working. Take a look in your Device Manager to see if you have any bangs ( "!" exclaimation points) on the USB interface listed in there.

This is so weird....
On my Device Manager, it shows that USB flash drive as "Other Devices" and under that, it shows "USB Mass Storage Device" with yellow question mark.....

Now, I borrow a USB flash drive from friend next door, I put it in and it works fine. Under device manager, it show correctly under "Univeral Serials Buss Controllers" (USB) and under it, it shows "USB Mass storage device"

The computer next door can handle anything. any usb will works automatically, external HD, external dvd burner...you name it. it will automatically install drivers and show "your device is ready to use"

Both computer are the same specs.

I had that problem, try and reinstall your motherboard drivers.
Also clear out your Cmos, turn your computer off and take out the battery on your motherboard for about 20 minutes and then return the battery to the motherboard and turn it back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom