Drive Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanK23

Solid State Member
Is there a way you can tell if your CD-RW is burnt out other than putting it in another computer? Mine still plays DVDs but it stopped reading all CDs like 2 months ago...Device Manager says its ok, and I re-installed hardware and drivers

Slimtype COMBO LSC-24082K CD-RW/DVD ROM
Gaeway M520 NOTEBOOK

Hmm i dought it is wires not being hooked up.Seems like a driver issue, but you already reinstalled drivers hmmm.Maybe just for the heck of it get one of thoose disc with little brush on them made to cleam the lazers.You can get them about anywhere.I got one once at walgreens.

The computer is also saying "Primary Hard drive Status BAD, Backup and Replace...Press F1 to continue" and runs extremely slow. Could this be a software problem that might be fixed if I formatted and started fresh or does this mean the hardware is physically bad? Of course I cannot reinstall without a working CD-ROM so I am wondering if it would even be worth it to replace...computer also shuts off after 15 minutes when I am playing counterstrike but will stay running when I do anything else...should I just chuck this thing? Plz help!!

Gateway M520 Notebook
2.8 GHz Celeron
736MB RAM
Slimtype COMBO LSC-24082K CD-RW/DVD ROM

Haha but I can't back anything up or install anything on a new hard drive because my CD-ROM wont read or burn CDs! I just got done paying this computer off and the warranty expired 2 months ago...then the problems came literally a week later...I feel like I got ripped off! is there any point in sending it in and shelling out more money to replace the two drives? Im afraid that something else might go wrong if I do...maybe I should think about getting a new computer...any suggestions?

depending on how big your hard drive is buy a new one and copy over all your data. That's if it can do that without your pc dying on you, you would also need to partition the hard drive so you can install XP onto it and keep your crossed over files intact.

You could also use ghosting software once you got a new hard drive, such as acronis true image or norton ghost but they arnt free and I sadly dont no of any ones that are.

Hmm...well I don't need the data on the hard drive now...I would actually prefer to start over again...I'm guessing I can't just walk into a store and expect them to have another hard drive specifically for my laptop. Even if I could I have no working CD ROM drive to install XP...Am I correct in thinking that I would probably need to send it in or buy both external drives?...Would my computer shutting off after 15 min of Counterstrike likely be a result of the failing hard drive? Sorry I know its a mess I appreciate your feedback

ya send it in, hopefully u got it insured. ya it could very well shut off when using it, coz ur drive is basicly breathing its last breath. also when u running a prog like CS the harddrive is constantly spinning, busy reading data to allow u to play CS, and it doesnt seem like ur HD can take it for long periods, it different when the comp is doing nothing coz virtually all the data is in memory. shame dude let the poor HD rest in peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom