~~ Help for a new Comp =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawy

Solid State Member
Hey!

After having spent almost 6 years with my old computer I think it's finally time to move on! :)

I've got around 1000-1100€ (about 1270-1400$) and would like to ask you if it would be smart to spend those on a new computer now (I've really got urges for some hardcore gaming again lol) and if you could help putting me the pieces together? I need everything apart from the Screen, Keyboard and Mouse.

Generally it would mostly be for gaming, music, videos, some photoshopping and normal Internet use!

I'm still in a dilemma between Core 2 Duo and AM2, but I think with my price range it's better to go for a Core 2 Duo E6600?

Now I don't really know a lot about Intel mainboards and RAM compability, since until very short ago I was convinced about getting an AMD rig.. =[ So it would be nice of you to help me out there :cool: I'm thinking of 1-2gb Corsair low latency RAMs, are those still good?

For the HD I guess everything around 160-200gb should do fine, or would it be smart getting those Raptors from WD with 10.000 rpm?

Oh and one more question: I've got a ATI Radeon 9000 with an AGP slot, would I be able to use it in the new computer to wait for the G80 series, or do I have to get a new graphic card right away?

I hope I didn't ask too many stupid questions and that you can help me =)

Thanks in advance,

Tawy

With that price range, an e6600 is good. But if things start to get a little expensive, you can go for an e6300 which is good too. And of the any of the C2Ds beats the AM2. For the HD, 10k rpm isn't a big deal, unless you want faster load times. But that isn't worth for the price. You would probably have to get a new graphic card. You can go for a cheap graphic card to hold you, until about 2 weeks...which the G80 will release. Welcome to TF btw.

you could use your old graphics card, there is an Asrock motherboard that has 1x Pci-e slot and 1x AGP slot. it also has DDR1 & 2 slots and supports intel conroe core 2 duos like the processor you want.

Thanks for the replies ^^
Well I guess I could wait another 2 weeks, but will the G80 series already be in stores then? If not I will probably just go for a cheap PCI-e one =)

About the motherboard, I don't want to be prejudicious, but there is a quality difference between Asus/MSI boards and for example AsRock? I think Asus or MSI would do best? :eek:

Is it worth getting DDR2 Rams or is there no big difference to DDR1 apart from the price?

The G80s should be out by then. And if not just a get a cheap graphic card like you said. I don't really hear about AsRock being reliable or a known brand of motherboards. It is worth getting DDR2 now over DDR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom