Creating Partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

NosBoost300

I poop on the rug
Hey people of tf!!! i need to learn how to create another partition...

why?? so i can save a certain file on it so it won't be erased when reformatting...

my obtained copy of dark messiah isnt working correctly since i added my new video card in.. and i wanted to reformat to get a fresh new driver installation of everything to see if that fixes the problem...

but like i said, i need to learn how to create a partition.

i know i can use partition magic 7 or 8.. but i don't wanna spend money... lol

anyway, thanks in advance

Or get a Ubuntu disc, boot it, and use Gparted to resize your Windows partition, therefore making free space for the new partition.

This is free, of course. Partition Magic is not.

well... i just decided i'm going to burn it on 2 dvd's and then just recreate the image after reformating..

i would try kubuntu, or ubuntu... but seeing as ati has problems with those programs.. thats a no go for me.

Umm... What? No, it will work perfectly fine... You just won't have 3D acceleration, which doesn't matter because you aren't going to be playing games in it ... just partitioning your drive.

Whatever, I don't care. Reformat, go through all that trouble, or use Gparted for free. Your choice.

There is a MUCH easier way.

Find a windows 98 boot disk, run it, and use Fdisk. It runs out of dos, you must use boot from it.

Its also free, AND legal.

well... kinda hard to find windows 98... lol... never had it ... and i doubt i ever will... i may just obtain partition magic when the time i need it

Dexaroni said:
There is a MUCH easier way.

Find a windows 98 boot disk, run it, and use Fdisk. It runs out of dos, you must use boot from it.

Its also free, AND legal.

I don't know what you are smoking, but you couldn't be any worse at giving advice. Fdisk can't resize partitions. The Fdisk on a Win98 disc doesn't support NTFS, Gparted can resize NTFS partitions. That's what he needed to do ... resize his NTFS partition to make room for a new partition. Gparted, which is included on the "free AND legal" Ubuntu disc is exactly what he needed. He doesn't need to go and:

1. Find a disc he can't find
2. Use it to do something it can't do
3. On a filesystem that it doesn't support
4. On hardware that won't be detected
5. On 9 year old software

How is that easier?

1. Download Ubuntu
2. Boot it
3. Run Gparted
4. Drag the divider over with the mouse to the desired partition sizes
5. Click OK.

Status