Advice for a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry1850

Beta member
I am posting here because I hope to get some unbiased advice from experienced technical people.

I need to buy a new computer because my five year old is about to give out. I don't want to buy outdated technology, and don't want to buy stuff that I really don't need, but it seems that for a few hundred dollars more I can get really great sounding stuff. I heard that DELL has the best prices, so I'm not searching on the net to find a bargain - since I don't have a way of comparing one product to another.
I surf the net, want to download video and news clips (I"m on high speed dsl), keep and organize pictures, do word processing.
Is it worth getting a dual core processor now, and is there any real difference between the brands? Do I load up with firewires and stuff like that which I don't need now (its only 20 or 30 dollars, and to take my system in to a technician will cost a minimum of $50,00 for the service plus the part if I ever find that I need one,--choices (like which is better thais athlon better than pentium.

I know that you can't give specific "buy this" advice, but anything you can suggest would be helpful.

With an amd athlon 64x2 dual core 4200+ processor, ,1gb 533 mz memory, nvidia ge force 6150 le integrated graphics gpu, a 20" digital flat screen monitor, integrated sound blaster audigy hd software edition, and a dvd burner I'm up to $949 before taxes. I've seen complete systems advertised for 499, but they only have a single core processor, 512 ram, no upgrade on the sound card or speakers, and a 17 " analogue flat screen monitor. I don't want to buy a porsche to drive to the beer store.

Also, with windows xp media centre, am I going to be able to use my word software from my old machine, or do I really have to buy another copy for the new machine?

Barry

media center is not at all different from xp for the every day user. it is actually exactly the same. only differences come into effect when your trying to do more advanced tasks (ex: take ownership of a directory, etc). it will be able to run all of your current xp programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom