unable to run windows update

Status
Not open for further replies.

siauchuan

Solid State Member
I got a friend's computer cannot run microsoft windows update.

I had tried to reformat all the system and install windows xp with SP2 without install any software.

when i open windows update, the system will hang, and freeze until u press reset button to reset the system.

if u never run windows update, the system will run normally.

I am using same windows CD to install other computer, but other computer can run smoothly.

i suspect maybe is hardware driver affected. is it possible?

I really try my best to find out what problem is it, unfortunately, i cannot get it.
can anyone help me? i appreciate everyone who can help me. thanks

computer spec:
All hardware is from HP original
I only know 933mhz P3
384 MB RAM

Is there any error codes ? look carefully ?
can you get online and surf the net ?
is the date and time set corrctly in bios ?

It sounds like you did a reinstall of xp not a fresh install. when you are in the xp setup screen delete the partitions and do a quick format (ntfs) then install XP on the new "FRESH" partition. This is a common problem when you reinstall instead of formatting.

I agree with FlashDude, sounds like you didn't eliminate the problem. If you want to start fresh, you need to format and do a clean install. You may have malware on there that you didn't get rid of. Some viruses and trojans can affect updates. Hit Warez's spyware removal guide and try again.

Thank you everyone for giving idea to solve the problem. I done the system with full format by NTFS system. Then quickly install zone alarm firewall and avast antivirus before access to internet. Now, i am testing in good condition already.

Glad you got it fixed, reason 15001 not to reinstall. A fresh formatted install is always the way to go. Even if it means spending hours backing up your data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom