Build Me A 1337 Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

oblivion

Baseband Member
well, im almost off to college and i need to build myself a new computer. I could do it myself...but i dont have many connections. and ill be damned if i pay full price for everything.

I basically need everything but an OS and a monitor
here are the guidelines.

- I only have around $1300
- I want a 3.4GHz Processer ... but then again, im not sure if i want pentium IV or athlon.
- 1 gig of ram (2 512 or just 1 stick...whichevers cheaper)
- 120 gig HDD
- CD/ DVD burner
- Cool case with its own power supply.....again, if its cheaper like that.
- Most importantly, a very good video card. Some people are telling me to get the radeon 9800 XT .... but ive been hearing things about a new vid card coming out in about 1 or 2 weeks thats gonna b*tch all the other vid cards. Like its 3X better then the best vid card right now. If thats the case, im sure the price of the cards right below it are gonna drop. So ill wait a bit before i buy a vid card.

Well, i plan on building my comp in about 3 weeks, Lets see what u guys can dish out.

first of all, I think this should be in the buy/sell/trade section - if I were a mod I'd move this

where abouts do you live?
it's prolly best if someone close to you builds it so the shipping price isn't very high
- I'm in Melbourne, Australia

I'd like to suggest parts to build it with even if it's not me to build it:
CPU: Athlon 64 3400+ because it is amongst the top in performance, cost about half that of the P4EE (extreme edition) and can process 64-bit which will be required to run "Longhorn."

Video card: wait a bit for the GF 6800's to come out and see the price of the Radeon 9800's - get an XT over Pro

motherboard: Gigabyte K8NNXP or Asus K8V Deluxe - I'd personally go for the K8NNXP with its dual BIOS and gigabit LAN

sound card: either use the onboard 6-channel sound of the K8V/K8NNXP or get an Audigy 2

monitor: a 21" from a swap-meet can be picked up cheap (about $300-$400 Aus, or like $250-$300 US)

DVD burner: Pioineer 107D

CD burner: 52x32x52 and maybe +16x DVD from Sony or LG

120 gig SATA HDD from Seagate or Western Digital - Seagate if you want a silent PC

case: the thermaltake's look pretty good, the Damier 5000 black with window is prolly the best one with silent fans, but they don't come with PSU's, the Thermaltake PSU's are very good quality and silent - otherwise any other case you like, and put in an Antec or Thermaltake power supply

I don't think the Athlon 64 non-FX's have a dual-channel controller so 1GB or 2 512MB RAM sticks will do whichever is cheaper, but always from Kingston or Corsair Micro

oooh...ok...i checked out all the parts and they're all pretty good.

now...i just need a good place to buy em.....any ideas?

where abouts do you live?
I'm Aussie, so here are sites I know:
Scorpion Technology
MSY - wholesaler, big brands but really cheap
Computer World
Computer Parts Land

I know an American sites that people like to mention:
Newegg

I just checked out Gigabyte's socket 754 motherboards, and I found the K8N Pro is not much different from the K8NNXP, the price is certainly different though: $179 verses $345
and I found the K8N Pro supports a 1600MHZ FSB and the K8NNXP only supports an 800MHZ FSB

im also getting the new x800 XT cause i have connections that can buy it for me for $100 less =P

o yea...im from NY.

oblivion said:
im also getting the new x800 XT cause i have connections that can buy it for me for $100 less =P

o yea...im from NY.

awesome get me one too, say its for ur best friend :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom