PC Build Question for eternally lagging

Status
Not open for further replies.

guinness74

Solid State Member
Hey everyone, I could really use some feedback. My PC is 4yrs old and is currently getting murdered by current games. I want to buy another one for gaming (I do not know enough about building my own so I've opted for the boutique vendor path).

I have spec'ed out the following rig from ABS for around $2300

Case: ABS Stealth Silver case
PS: Enermax Liberty ELT620WT ATX12V 620W
Mobo: Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 975X north bridge 4 x 240pin DDR2; up to 8 GB
Fan: Thermaltake SILENT 775 CL-P0092 90mm 1 Ball, 1 Sleeve Multi-Color LED Light Cooling Fan
RAM: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit
HD1: Seagate Barracuda 320 GB, 3.5", SATA 3.0Gb/s 7200 RPM, 16MB Cache 4.16 ms average latency
HD2: Western Digital 74GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150
Sound Card: Integrated

Now, I understand that Dx10 is coming out shortly, so I figure that I will buy a lesser GPU to get me through the next 6mth-1yr while the next gen cards shake out then upgrade my card. However, I have no idea what card is the best buy from the options that ABS gives:

- NVIDIA GeForce 7900GS KO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card Support HDCP [-$310.00]
- NVIDIA GeForce 7950GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card [-$210.00]
- NVIDIA GeForce 7900GTX 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card [-$11.00]
- NVIDIA GeForce 7950GX2 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card out of stock Auto-Notify
- SAPPHIRE 100177 Radeon X1950XTX 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card [currently selected]

What do you all suggest I choose? I don't want to dump all this money into a GPU only to upgrade in another year, but I also don't want any more lag issues.

Lastly, are there any other parts I should look at or vendors I should check out?

Please help out one of the legions of the gaming impaired!!!!

Go with a DELL XPS.
I customized one with the following components for $2140:

Intel® Core™2 Duo processor E6600 (2.4GHz)
Genuine Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition with re-installation CD
Express Upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium from XP Media Center Edition
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 2 DIMMs
320GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/ dbl layer write capable
No Monitor
256MB nVidia GeForce 7900 GS
Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeMusic (D) Sound Card

I would go with this setup and the 7900GS will play all games until DX10 comes out.

p x baller ... will that xps let you oc? my pc teacher was telling us bout a few companies letting ppl oc and still stay under warrenty?

Thx for your feedback!

I thought that Dell PCs were difficult to upgrade down the road and used some inferior equipment (e.g., PS)?

I'd love to get as much feedback as possible, any additional thoughts?

just consider building your own. I know you opted to go for a pre build. But just give me the questions and concerns you have about building your own and I will give you my opinion.

I have several concerns with building my own system:

1) Lack of expertise - While the cost of parts are cheaper than a pre-build, I worry about screwing up more complex part (e.g., motherboard & CPU installation) and netting out paying more. I would rather pay a premium to get a system set up right than fumbling around myself as a newbie builder.

2) Tech support - Even after I receive the system, I like the added security of having tech support should I have an issue. I got my last PC from ABS and ended up needing to use Tech Support several times since I knew little about how to do proper troubleshooting.

3) Time involved in getting myself up to speed not only with researching the right parts and building and eventually upgrading the system.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

yes building your own is not only fun but also a rewarding rxperience, and dell PSU's arent inferior they just use a different pin layout than standard atxPSU's also sometimes they put the notches on their stuff on the wrong place, like the ram which means you cant ut in ballistix or dominator just good ol' crappy dell memory

I would suggest this video cardNVIDIA GeForce 7900GTX 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card [-$11.00] for $11.00 thats a steal lol, but i say the GTO
Also are you planning to OC, and ALienware Voodo PC and i think ABS? offer OC'ed machines

your going to get the opinion probally from alot of people that if you want what you want, then custom build it yourself is the way to go, that way you get what you want and u know what you have.

well with installing the motherboard and stuff. just grab it by the coners and go slow. Find the right holes for the brass studs it sits on and take the motherboard out. Next srew the brass studs into the hole you found put the motherboard in stick the 9 screws or whatever in and BAM you got yourself an installed motherboard.

Now with the CPU you just make sure the little tab in the coner without any pins matches up with the same tab on the mother board, get it close to the pin match up and wiggle it till it pops in. Snap on the CPU cooler and now you have a installed cpu.

I am sorry to tell you but paying the premium doenst mean you are getting a system that is set up right. There have been several cases on here where someone has spent 1500 to 2000 on a pre built computer form some like monarch or similar. And it arrived broken, tried to get it repaired but tech support just didnt follow through. Most of thsoe cases ended in a law suit :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom